Drum Sanders

bigdguitars

bigd,

A friend of mine has the grizzly and it works fine. He doesn't keep his cleaned up a that well and after a lot of heavy use it's getting hard to turn the crank to raise and lower the drum. Especially when you get down to really thin stuff. You'll have to keep the whole crank/chain mechanism clean so it will continue to be easy to use and last a good while. I've looked at the performax 16/32 and it seems like a nice one but I do think it's a few hundered more than the grizzly. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 16/32 because I just can't see how you can turn your wood around to get the other side without the middle being messed up in the process. Don't know much else about them. Hope that helps.

hey sonicparke welcome! Thanks for the review. jehle,

I am talking about the large parallel drum sanders, not the drill press attachment types.

These machines are sooooo expensive. I have seen some custom made plans on mimf, but I don't have the time to make a machine.

I am almost at a production phase and scared that this sander will not be good enough.

I have 2 Performax drum sanders....22in single drum and 37in dual drum.....both work very well and I think it is money well spent. They are both in constant use in the shop......but don't get too aggressive with them, you can burn and clog-up the sandpaper.....remove a little stock at a time and you'll be fine.

......but don't get too aggressive with them, you can burn and clog-up the sandpaper.....remove a little stock at a time and you'll be fine.

use one of these... (the block)

15154.jpg

Sorry Krazyderek.....I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, I own the blocks...I use the blocks....But some particularly resinous woods, when sanded....the dust, in conjunction with the heat generated, nearly bonds itself to the sandpaper, much like when sanding glue that is not quite dry.....it will come off ....but not with "THE BLOCK"!

BTW.....I am using a 5hp dust collection system.........Anyway you look at it, you can't use a drum sander as a planer.....if you sand too aggressively, you will get burn marks and build up.