Here's an idea

Don't mind me if this has already been done :D

My crate amp has a tuner built into the top, so I was thinking, how about a guitar with a tuner built into the side? You could put it right where the EQ is on an ac/electric and save a lot of time fiddling around with cords and tuners (unless, of course, you have one built into your amp B) )

You would just have to rout a pocket on the side (probably be easy with a table mount) and put a hole through to the next pocket. I think. :D

Hi Murphc

I thought of doing this a few years ago but never got around to doing it. I was checking out patents sites the other day and found that someone had applied to patent this idea. For your own guitar, It would be a handy tool. Instead of having to plug into a tuner, you have a tuner on your axe, you are already connected to it and just have to flick a switch to check the tuning. I think its a great idea.

a guy on MIMF was talking about puting a tuner in his fretless bass, and running fiber optics up the neck where the dots would be, so that if he was playin out of tune it would turn red, and if he was in tune it would be green or blue. Im not sure exactly how he did this, but if you searched the librarys there it probley says.

I remember in a guitar mag around 10 years ago, it said that Tom Keifer (sp?) (Cindarella guitarist ) had this tuning system on his Les Paul that you could program. On some song he programed it to go in and out of tune causing some sort of tremelo effect.

It didn't see a picture, but from how it was described, I was imagining motorized tuning machines.

There was also a deal that replaced the cord jack on a strat with a new jack plate cover that had a small LED tuner on the end.

It's like other effects; If you're not the most wealthy guy, but have more than one guitar, you kind of want to be able to use the effect on both guitars, not have it built into one of them (unless it's dirt cheap to do it that way)

i believe the acoustic preamp tuner is pretty common. the idea of having a tuner on your guitar is good in theory but you have to realize that the signal would have to go through the tuner and then to your amp or a line of stompboxes. does that little extra amount of hands free freedom mean more to you than your signal? its been proven that your guitar signal loses punch as it goes through bypasses on effects boxes and tuners. the only way that i think this would help is if it was one of those tuners that has a vibration module and it was somewhere less obtrusive like the back of the peghead.

...you have to realize that the signal would have to go through the tuner and then to your amp or a line of stompboxes...

Incorrect - a single transistor buffer will isolate the tuner from the signal path. The signal at any rate will never go "through" the tuner.

... its been proven that your guitar signal loses punch as it goes through bypasses on effects boxes and tuners...
Again, incorrect - a properly wired true bypass in a stompbox will degrade the signal less than the same length of cable. While this wasn't true in the 60's and 70's, manufacturers have long since stopped using partial bypass switching on almost all quality FX ("vintage" reissue items excepted). Eric Johnson aside, nobody can tell how many stompboxes you have bypassed in your signal chain by listening to your rig. If you think you can, get in touch and I'll put together a little double-blind listening test so you can prove it!