how to fill this in..

Translucent or a solid color for the paint job?

It does make a difference, if your going with a solid color you can just fill the holes with almost anything that won't shrink but a see through paint scheme will be much harder to hide.

solid color...

Dowel rods. You should be able to find some small enough at your hardware store. Drop a bit of wood glue into the hole, then gently tap a piece of dowel into it with a hammer (don't beat on it). When it's dry, cut the dowel off flush with the top and sand it flat. You may need a small amount of body filler to level the area out.

*EDIT*

Im not good at this: I'd do that by taking it to a better repairman than I, and praying. :D

i imagine a little woodfiller would do the job fine too :D

Depends on the size of the holes. I wouldn't use wood filler for most pickguard sized screwholes. They're not that big, but most wood filler likes to shrink, and even a little bit of shrinkage can screw everything up.

i'm reading the lable of a container right now...

"Timber mate, water-based woodfiller, NON shrinking"

:D

"Hey, the packaging says it, it must be true!"

:D

Seriously though, I've seen stuff that claims to be non-shrinking shrivel up like a naked guy in arctic Canada. It probably depends a lot on weater conditions and other crap you never think about until it ruins what you're working on... like that a 2 gallon bucket of wood filler for $4 was probably a bad deal. You'd use filler, I'd use dowels. We're both right, except that you're wrong. :D

Just off the top of my head, the only way you could possibly fix holes that would be acceptable under a trans finish is by filling them with the same kind of wood and hoping the grain lines up well. Filler won't take the color the same as the wood around it and neither will dowels so both of those are out. Whatever the case, it would take someone (way the f) better than me to pull it off with any success. B)

I don't think I've EVER seen or heard of a method where you can fill holes without leaving any evidence. Solid color? OK. But translucent or natural finish, may as well install that pickguard.

I have only been able to do it once using a plug made from the same wood and a 2 hair fine detail brush with dye to add fake growth lines to blend it in, for the most part though I agree it's impossible because no matter how much time you put into it you will notice it.

As far as the shrinkage factor goes ( I was in the POOL! :D ) Any type of filler that is acetone or alcohol based will shrink. The solvents evaporate resulting in less volume. Same goes for water based glues. But 2 part bondo type fillers ( Awl-Fair is a good one) work by chemical reaction releasing heat, they do not shrink at all. I should have scooped up a cup of each component before I left that boat building shop last year. Its real easy to form and sands beautifully. Cost is about $120 /gallon.