Dimebucker doubts

Noodle

The Dimebucker doesnt have metal sticks in it. Instead it uses 2 metal strips.

sh-13.jpg

What exactly is the advantage or disadvantage of this?

It seems more logical to me to make a stick for every string, because, you get more sound from the string you hit...

SH-2.jpg

..and the magnets power goes out to that string and not to what lies between 2 strings...

picserver.jpeg

It is more aimed at the string and stuff..

B) Or something.. :D

I do not play as tight as Mr. Dimebag, so i don't want the pickup picking up more scratches and fuzzyness then strickly necessary =]

"Hot" refers to the output compared to other pickups. I just bought one and haven't installed it yet. One thing I was surprised about was that it's all plastic. Most pickups I've used have a metal plate on the bottom but this one's plastic.

I trust Scott's opinion on it - that's why I decided to try it. I know everyone's got their own taste when it comes to their sound but I have heard Scott mention a couple of times that he really likes it. Don't let the bar vs. pole pieces scare you away though - it's not the only pickup that uses that type of design.

The only other thing about that pickup that I thought was strange is that the wires come straight out of the bottom instead of the usual sideways direction if you know what I mean. Not a big deal - just caught by surprise when I saw that.

The only other thing about that pickup that I thought was strange is that the wires come straight out of the bottom instead of the usual sideways direction if you know what I mean. Not a big deal - just caught by surprise when I saw that.

yeah it surprised me too. I had to put a small "worm Route" under the pickup for the wire because I direct mounted mine

Yep, passive. Despite that, they seem to have a higher output than EMG's. It may just be a better high-end harmonic content or somesuch nonsense like that. :D About the only bad thing I can say about the Lawrence is that the low end just isn't there. Still, if you need a Dime/Slayer tone and don't want to mess with batteries, the Lawrences are your answer.

well...the dimebucker is a great pickup...i used one before i switched over to emg and it really is the only pickup i ever miss the tone of.

yes,it will get you the pantera sound...slayer?no,because the low end on the dimebucker is too tight to get that flowing kind of bottom end you here on most slayer albums...that's one of the reasons i switched to emg,because slayer just didn't sound right to me through that pickup

it's volume output is a little higher than an 81...about like an 85...but the highs are much sweeter and more pronounced with the dimebucker

the advantage of the rail instead of the pole pieces is that there is no dropoff between poles when you bend.

the emg 81 also has rails instead of pole pieces...i believe the 85 does also

also.....the dimebucker does not have much low end....it is made for tight chunky style playing...i think of it as slightly "rubbery"sounding...in a good way though

If you do go the Lawrence route, beware. I ordered my set (L-500L, L-280SM, L-500C) 10 weeks ago :D . Two weeks ago I asked Becky how much longer I should expect to wait (because no where on their website does it say an average wait of 6-8 weeks, don't bother looking, you won't find it), and yesterday I found out she had cancelled my order :D . Why? You got me there.... somehow in my email about waiting times she got the message that I didn't want my pickups. Sorry about the ranting, I'm extremely dissapointed after all of the hype I've heard about these pickups and I haven't even tried them yet. My pickups are now on their way though B) .

That all sounds very promising.

I like the Pantera sound much for beeing so clear and tight. But the sound is not as thick as Hetfields sound.

First i looked for EMG's because Mr. Hetfield seduces everyone with his sound especially from the black album. But they are a little expensive i think, and someone told me i don't feel the difference between EMG's or Duncun's wich cost half the money :D .

One last question: what is in your opinion the best neck-pickup to use with de Dimebuck0r?

Thx everyone :D:DB)

If you do go the Lawrence route, beware. ..

... My pickups are now on their way though.

Looking at Mr Lawrence, his beard tells me he isn't into heavy metal. This, being accentuated by his beard, and accompanied by your experience, makes me go for Duncans.

picserver.jpeg

Thx for your story btw :D

The L-500XL is a standard-sized passive humbucker:

500small2.jpg

Despite Bill's beard, he makes a very defined, very hot pickup. And he basically makes 'em one at a time on his own machinery at his place in California, so if you're in a hurry for a set, get the Dimebuckers (they are also great pickups, IMO). Becky was quoting 6 to 8 weeks on their website back in October of last year, so you'll have to expect to wait, but they are hand made pickups, for $50.00 each. :D

do they make humbucker cool rails?i thought they were single coil?

Cool Rails and Hot Rails are both humbuckers.

I'll second the SH-2 as a neck pickup. Doesn't matter what you have in the bridge, the SH-2 is the right match. :D

check out some dimarzios. i have a super distortion in the bridge of my homemade (woops handmade) flying v. it sounds amazing a great high gain pickup. i like it better than a emg but thats just my opinion. id say try a dimarzio super distortion , X2N or a evolution. remember super high output isnt everthing. the more gain you have the more muddy your sound will be, and all your notes will run together. it may sound great a low volume but when you are playing loud jamming with a band or whatever hot pickups squeel. emgs dond squeel at high volumes as much because they are passive. and also high output picks dont have a great clean sound. also check out a seymour duncan JB. all the pickups i said are high output (between 13k and 15k) the dimarzios are really nice sounding, think John Petrucci. and the JB ir really nice to, think Dave Mustaine/megadeth.

good luck.

matt

I was going to mention the X2N as well. I have one of those and from what I gather, the design is very similar to the Dimebucker.

It's also a very high output humbucker. I have problems taming it sometimes. It has a singing high mid and doesn't loose that low end crunch. Good pickup, but I have the back the gain down to get clarity on the lead work. Otherwise, it's just too fuzzy sounding.

do they make humbucker cool rails?i thought they were single coil?

Cool Rails and Hot Rails are both humbuckers.

I'll second the SH-2 as a neck pickup. Doesn't matter what you have in the bridge, the SH-2 is the right match. :D

what i mean is they fit in a single coil slot