Cocobolo...OK for a neck?

yeh, and have fun paying out of the arse for a solid block of cocobolo.

seriously, of all the stuff ive seen, a 3x3x36" piece would seriously prolly run you in the hundreds for a nice figured piece.

reason being is that they can get a piece like that, make 50 knife handles or pen blanks :D out of it and make 200x the profit as of selling it as a whole piece.

rosewoods are expensive dude. sorry. B)

any other ideas for woods?

yeh, and have fun paying out of the arse for a solid block of cocobolo.

seriously, of all the stuff ive seen, a 3x3x36" piece would seriously prolly run you in the hundreds for a nice figured piece.

I dunno...I can get two Fender-style flatsawn necks, or one laminated neck with tilted headstock, from this piece.

Coco

Not super figured, but nice grain. Are we talking about the same wood?

the wood you posted isnt even an inch thick. when cook woods sells online they sell their one off stuff, so it would be impossible to find another board with some knot/color/grain ratio if you laminated. therefore look real weird i would think.

also, i thought you were talkin about making a 1 piece neck not scarf it and laminate.

keep in mind that when finished cocobolo has a red tint to it. not something i care for to much, but you may like

The finished thicknesses on my Fender necks vary from 0.84" to 0.91"; I have a maple+RW neck that is 0.80" thick. If the cocobolo is as stable as rock maple (is it?), maybe it would work?

yeah, I kinda like that reddish tint especially if I can get the darker grain to show through.

Here's how I'd do a 3-piece laminated neck, if I had to.

necklams.jpg

The black shapes are the profile of the neck blank. Cut 'em out, glue 'em together and you have a nearly 3" wide neck blank with enough left over for headstock ears. And if you cut these from flatsawn stock, now you have a quartersawn blank. Which would then need a fretboard of course.

2 things about cocobolo,

1. Most lumber yards don't know cocobolo from the holes in their butts, it's likely just reddish bolivian rosewood that they THINK is cocobolo, if you pay less than about $50 for a neck blank it's probably not coco.

2. Its toxic as hell, you need to wear a respirator and gloves, it's carcinogenic and highly allergenic. A friend of mine learned of this the hard way and ended up in the hospital after working with it for a couple hours.

i ahve a piece of cocobolo that i got from Woodcraft for about 22$ it is almost 1 inch thick by 4 in wide x 48 in. long. it is quarter sawn with very nice contrasting grain figure.... it is hard as hell and very heavy and natrually waxy....... I htink it will make a killer frettless dfinger board for my amboyna burl topped thur neck bass. just be carefll of the dust

pEace,

Ryan