accoustic bridge on electric guitar

0154300_xl.jpg

hai guys, my friend had stumbled fender site ( can you believe it?! ) and he's fallen in love with this fender flathead showmaster. he asked me to build it since he knows that i like to build guitars.

but he didn't like the hardtail bridge but he prefer an accoustic bridge to be fitted in the guitar. i've talked to him about it and he's ignoring completely. since he's paying for all the cost, and i just had to build it for him, i guess i had to follow his needs rather than what i think apprpriate.

ok, the question is, if i used the accoustic bridge on the guitar, where should i wire the ground from the pickup?

another thing is, can it really be used? i mean accoustic bridge on electric guitar?

I did it twice when I made 9-strings (bottom three octaved like a 12-string, top 3 plain so you could still solo) I used a piezo too, because why not?! The saddle slot is right there! Its a totally different sound. There's much more snap and sparkle to the notes, and it makes fret buzz more apparent. So much so that you may want to hardwire (or switch on) a .0022 cap to ground to basically shelf off the extreme high freqs. I'm not talking about on a piezo, for those you want the extreme highs. But for that bridge pickup. The .0022 cap to ground almost simulates 30ft of guitar cord. Its relatively harmless except to the extreme high end. You could also try 250k pots, or even 100k.

For grounding, I used ferrules in the back to anchor the strings. Then I grounded one of them. That made that string grounded. On one guitar I used a string retainer bar across all the strings at the headstock. That grounded all the strings. On the other, I used a brass nut-same story. There's more than one way to ground the strings! I thought about figuring a way to ground the truss rod and then ground that to the brass nut but that was a waste of time. You could use a brass saddle and ground that. You could also make a custom saddle with a thin sheet of brass laminated between two pieces of bone or whatever. So you'd have a brass stripe down the middle, touching the strings. Or you could put a brass plate under the acoustic bridge and ground that. Drill the string through holes in that so they have to press against the brass. It's totally doable. And you can shape it however you want. A relatively traditional large acoustic bridge looks great on a strat body.

mannn.... that's a beauty... how do you that? anyway, my friend wants a reverse strat headstock. he said it'll look cooler when he's performing.

does the reverse headstock had any problems? string tension maybe? are string tress still needed when you do the reverse headstock?

wow... an accoustic thinline guitar... it really impress me and conform my first question on accoustic bridge on electric guitar. how about the reverse headstock question?

anyone can help me with the question?

Nope the Reverse HeadStock Will Work Grand, Sure Look At Jacksons Head Stocks, My Dad's Fender HMT Custom has a Accoustic Bridge, and looks Alot like that, but in Black, ill See if i can find a Picture of it. Great Sound Off It By the Way

....Keith

The string trees would only be needed, possibly, if you have a flat angle on the headstock. A reverse will work though.

The Carvin AE185 just doesn't use an acoustic bridge, that bridge is also an acoustic pickup and you can blend it's output w/the magnetic pickups. It even has it's own output jack so that you could run the magnetic pickups to one amp and the acoustic to another amp.

a reverse headstock would still mean that the head will have flat angle just like strat isn't it? so, instead of the high e string on the top most of the headstock, it will now be at the lowest point of the headstock. am i correct? is string trees still applies to this formation or it doesn't need one?

Wow....that strat with the reverse headstock is the ugliest strat I have ever seen. Looks like someone peed on the body instead of a finish.....lol....sry couldn't resist....:D

But back to your questions:

A reverse headstock needs string trees as well. It is really identical to a usual headstock but just reversed. Will you chamber or hollow out the strat you're going to build? Should make it even more acoustic sounding....

guitarmaestro, you said it man. the colour on the guitar does look.. like you said... about the string trees, yeah, i agree with all opinion. reverse or not, flat angle headstock like fender, does need string trees.

thanks a lot guys... :D