What Paint or Stain to get for Quilted Maple

I am new to this forum, but I have a question in regards to the Veneer Top projects, I want to try this on an old Srat body that I have, but what I haven't found is a tutorial on what type of Paint or Stain to use in order to get the PRS type finish, I want the Quilt to show through. I also would like to know if I should reduce the thickness of the body before I put the Veneer on it, I am concerned that with the added thickness, I may change the weight and feel of the body too much. Anyway.... Any help will be apprectiated. Thx

deshibs

Veneer is very thin... so if your adding veneer I dont think the thickness of the body or its weight will be too much of a concern. I think you have your terminology mixed up though B)

Good luck with your project - one of the bigwigs will be with you shortly :D

Veneer is ultra thin (1mm or less). Forget about the weight, its insignificant. In fact, lacquer weights more than "guitar woods", and people dont care about piling that on for the most part.

Use any old stain you like, just make sure its compatible with the lacquer (most are). You can use all different types of lacquers also, depending on if you a stripping back the entire finish, or just the face and blending. If the later, then you need something compatible with the existing finish.

Thanks for the advice and the links for the supplies, I will begin removing the old finish today using the Heat gun method as explained in the tutorial, and I plan on using a Maple veneer on the top with a nice cherry stain, I have'nt decided if I should try to burst it or not, I will worry about that later, what I wanted to know now is what to do first, should I do the whole body before I put the veneer on, or should I put the veneer on first and then the stain. Litchfield mentioned staining the top black and sanding it back abit, I understand the reason for doing that, should I stain the back and sides with the black first also? The advbice is much appreciated and I will try to get pics for this guitar when it is finished to show everyone how I did with it! Thanks

Deshibs

• 4 weeks later...
Here's some dye to mix with lacquer. Or here if you don't have spray equipment, although they might not have the color you want.

Wait, so the Stew Mac Dies have to be sprayed? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Can I just apply 'em with a rag or sponge?