Lumber help!

Try GalleryHardwoods or Gilmer. I'd recommend trying Gallery first since the quality is always excellent (at least in my experience) but I have seen tons of it on Gilmers site lately. You might not find 3" thick but who knows.

Try to avoid "lumber" yards if you can. I have bought black limba from a place like that before and got lumber yard grade limba. Not very attractive stuff.

hehe. Well. I won't use 36 inches. i just like extra in case I wana do a headstock veneer or make some pickup rings or make a Frisbee. Or something else. Really, it'll be 22 inches. It's a scaled down pic, but still too big to put here. If you wanna check it out go to:

http://poundfoolishband.com/cameron/1.jpg

http://poundfoolishband.com/cameron/2.jpg

Imagine it as a one-piece Korina carve top! Bitchin'!

Well. More like PRS..but a really deep carve. The perimiter of the carve will come JUST below the edge and make a sweet lip! I did steal the butt from the iceman...and most of the rest from McNaught. I've never seen a Korina carve top, though. I love the grain, not to mention tone, of limba. It should grab some attention.

• 4 weeks later...

I FOUND the wood! I got a 2-piece black limba body and a 1 piece, one-inch-thick black limba top. Super sweet! I'm about to get to the building of this thing. It should be, well, challenging. It's a kinda unorthodox design and carving the top will be a real joy too. As far as hardware, haven't decided. I'm thinking about getting a Suhr DSH for the neck and a Suhr DSV+ for the bridge. Both chrome covered (with black limba pickup rings). Volume, tone, 3-way selector. All black hardware otherwise. String-through-body/tune-o-matic bridge setup (a la Schecter). Sperzels. Ivory nut. Wait did I say ivory? I meant, uh, tusq. :D

What? your not gonna craft the hardware out of black limba? :D

I think some "normal" pickup rings would be better, for contrasts sake B) Or maybe just use a different or contrasting wood for them, or just stain the limba :D

I dunno, its probably just me, but i reckon overusing 1 wood could turn a really classy guitar into a fairly bland guitar.

Good luck by the way... you sound positively psyched :D Hope it goes well

I'm afraid you've misunderstood what I said

Im sure whatever he ends up doing will look fantastic, my point is, most things look better in moderation, and having too much natural limba -may-, depending on the viewer, start to dull the visual beauty of using the black limba in the first place.

Still, its a very subjective thing... thats just how I look at it anyway.

- Dan

As far as the pickup rings, I just want them to blend in. Make the pickups look like they're hoovering. The body will be a natural gloss finish. An the rings will be raw and unfinished. If I don't like them, rings are cheap. I can experiment. I found the wood through Gallery Hardwoods. $65 for the 2-piece body blank. $45 for the top. I could have done a solid one piece for $130, but the slab was a little wet (10 or 11% humidity). Anyhow. i'm up for sugestions. This guitar will be pretty bitchin'. Especially with input from you all!

It sounds like it will look great, Im always excited about new guiar projects 'round here.

that body design is KILLER really, i think it looks great. and with a super carve that would be pritty slammin.

keep us updated, and have you thought of doing a tourtial of your work?