The whole thing! Orchids, blackwood, snakewood, et

Some of you requested that when the orchids inlaid guitar was finished that I post pics. Well, luthier John Kinnaird has completed the work, and here it is. These are from John's site. He's an amazing luthier, and has an eye for what goes with my work very well. Our team efforts typically start out as inlays, and the guitar develops based upon that. Normally it's the reverse. I think it's better this way! You get a complete, whole instrument, not just a guitar with splashy inlay all over it.

I really love collaberating on projects with him.

Thanks for looking. This is going to Tacoma for the GAL show starting Wednesday.

westcoast_front1.jpg

westcoast_fullfront.jpg

westcoast_hummingbird.jpgwestcoast_peghead.jpg

westcoast_fingerboardandpeghead.jpg

westcoast2_spider.jpg

And here is a link to the full gallery page- more pics there. http://www.kinnairdguitars.com/west%20coast%2052.htm

Check out John's other guitars. He's definitly a master luthier.

Thanks for looking!

Craig.

Thanks guys.

Of course this post was really about the guitar, as the inlays have already been posted here.

The fun thing about this one is that it will mosty likely (unless it sells at the show), be available at one of the high end acoustic dealers afterwards.

So, she's single now! She's looking to get engaged but it might take a pretty big size rock to get here. I have no idea what she'd go for... Well, O.K, I have a rough idea, but this isn't the place for that. :D

Thanks again. More soon.

Craig

I really like the body shape and the purfling (abalone?). I definitely think that a nice understated wood & finish for the body is what is needed to show off neck inlay properly. If you were to use some kind of highly figured wood for the body, it would be way too busy. I've seen a lot of instruments that are just too much.

This combo looks really nice. Well done.

Thanks.

Thats spider web is made from sterling silver Johnsilver :D

Right now I'm working on my most complex single small size piece ever. It's an 80 or so piece jellyfish going around the walnut handle of a custom bowie knife. The whole thing is under 3.5 inches long.

Pics soon.

Craig

You really got my interest up now when you said the web was sterling silver. A couple of weeks ago, you have me a reference to a supplier to get some silver - thanks again. I posted a question yesterday on using sterling as purfling on a headstock. If you have a chance to read it, I'd really appreciate your thoughts. If not, that's cool too. :D

I honestly can't fathom the process required to design and inlay 80 pieces into a coherent vision on a knife handle. My son has asked me to do a pearl inlay of a chinese character centered on the 12th fret of a guitar I'm making for him, and I haven't got a clue yet.

Go to the tutorial section. Lots of really good clues there.. :D

As far as the silver purfling goes I don't see why not, it's flexible, and break resistant.

I would probably cut my ends with the inlay saw, but you'd have to be very exacting. Of course you could file to fit the ends tight, but it's risky. It's the same process as adding a binding of shell anyway. Nothing really changes just because the material does. I would think silver would be easier. Just make sure the contact edges are roughed up so the glue grabs well. Silver will expand a lot more in heat, shell doesn't, just the glue, and you don't want your binding raising up under a finish on a hot day.

Craig

Hey,

thats a totally amazing inlay job, and your skills are bloody amazing. Inlays are something I simply wish I could learn, because it makes ANY guitar totally unique.

However I don't want to go with the flow and just say its amazing, because I personally think the actual design is over done. It seems like too much is going on now, and doesn't 'blend' into the guitar. That is one thing I look for with inlays...its ability to become PART of the guitar, and not just a canvas on which you do your art. I'm not a huge fan of the leaves and branches just appearing from the edge of the guitar, I love an inlay which seems to live entirely ON the guitar. As for the colors, I guess to me there are too many. You have your greens and brown which are nice...but then the pinks, whites, grays and orange kill the mood.

In any case, its not for me...and I would never inlay my headstock like that, but I can't deny your tremendous talent, and wouldn't think twice about sending my neck in for a custom inlay...except I get to choose the design :D

Thanks Mike.

I value your opinions.

My style isn't for everyone, so I understand where your coming from.

Thats the cool thing about art of any kind. Once you get past the techniques the freedom to create is personal.

This is soley my design. I have done things I would never want on a guitar myself, for clients. I currently have a list of things I would never want to do, but I am doing them. B)

It's part of the job.

Maybe one day I can just do my designs, then I can hear more people argue if it's thier cup of tea or not. At least it's enough to start dialogue! If my works make people talk that is enough for me. :D

Craig.

• 2 years later...