quilt maple neck

it's not strong enough on its own you need to make it at least 3 pieces with something really strong like Bubinga or Wenge laminated to it

This is the truth. Quilted maple has nothing but grain runout, that's what all the waves are about. Looks great but structurally it is lacking.

If you don't want to use laminations then use some serious graphite. Get some 1/8" x 3/8" stock and put 2 of them down the length of the neck. It works for 5 and 6 string basses so it will work for an electric guitar neck with much less string tension.

Personally I would go with a combination of the laminates and the graphite. Overbuild with a wood like this or don't use it at all. You don't want to end up with a warped neck which is very likely with a quilted maple neck without reinforcement.

"It does make killer fretboards"

So can you back this up?

I've never even seen as much as a single one, much less make a statement like you did that implies you've seen several or a lot somewhere and they are indeed 'killer'.

Personally I think it's a pretty poor choice, so I'd like to see who's doing it with success enough to be coined 'killer boards'.

Please show me 5 or 10 pics of quilted maple fretboards. :D