Veneer finish?

I know this is kinda of a stupid question but i want to ask the guitar gurus or someone who knows what they are talking about: Are veneer finishes put on like a standard material finish? I want to know this before i but the veneer. Do you put it on the bare wood or to u have to seal the guitar first?

Welcome to the forum Nirvana9136 :D

You can do it either way actually depending on what you have available and the type of finish your after.

If you want the deep 3D finish I would start with bare wood, but if your after a burst and just want to highlight the natural grain you can use a sanding sealer over top. The best of both worlds is available in some markets where you can get a stainable sealer.

Since your talking about a veneer instead of a cap one thing you should keep in mind is to rub your finish on with a moist rag or brush and try to avoid getting the veneer soaked with moisture since it is so thin it may swell up and seperate from the wood it is mounted on.

Don't freak out if this happens just let it dry and cover the area with a small piece of aluminum foil, then tack the seperated area down with a common household iron. It takes practice because to much heat and the area around the bad spot will lift and seperate as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a body and a stack of veneer right now.

I plan on gluing the veneer directly to the wood. I've got hide glue and Titebond and plan to use Titebond.

If I do larger sheets, then I need to go get some bags of play sand from Home Depot. Thats what will give me even pressure across the sheets.

I actually plan on laying a veneer design down in pieces. But, I think I'll still do the sand thing -- place the sand in a big bag of some type so that it will lay across the whole body and have enough weight across the piece.

If the pieces design screws up, then I'll heat/scrape and remove the pieces ... and go for the large, nice-looking sheet of veneer :-)

-- joe

I would say that trying to glue down a design piece by piece is a disaster in progress. B)

The proper way to do this is to buy yourself a roll of veneer tape, learn how to use it (on top, and it's easy), and tape your design ALL together FIRST.

Then, after your design is all taped together the way you want it, then you glue it to the body AS 1 PIECE. :D

I've obviously misunderstood. So, do I even need sanding sealer on top of the veneer?

it depends on what you are doing...i suggest you buy a book that drak suggested i buy once,that explains just about every finishing secret in great detail

for some reason though i cannot find the book...drak..can you help me out with the name?

you COULD also run a search on this site and read everything you can find on the subject...that way you wouldn't be quite so clueless and your questions would be a little less broad..i know everyone wants everything handed to them...but a little research goes a long way

Wow...I feel a bit flamed.

don't take it that way...i only want you to get used to using the search function...there is a ton of info on this very subject and it is all available through a search...sometimes it is tough to get the search function to find what you need...but keep trying and you will...

there are also finishing tutorials on the main site which will help get you started...

For what you're doing, hell, you could use the Titebond itself for a sealer!

Take your Titebond and pour some in a plastic bottle (I use a plastic 16 oz. Coke bottle cut in half) and add a ratio of about 2/3 glue to 1/3 water and stir it up with a stirring stick.

It should look like thick runny cream. You can use this with a cheap paintbrush to brush on your wood. Wait about an hour or two and it will be hard enough to be sandable. Gently sand it flat and BOOM, you've just pore-filled and sealed and levelled your wood with glue, which, if you glue your veneer on within 24 hours of doing this, will bond to the glue substrate.

This is an offshoot of a veneer method. One way to apply veneer is with an iron. You cut the glue like I described, apply it to both surfaces to be joined with a paintbrush, let dry for an hour or so, gently sand them flat, then iron the veneer on. I've done this before lots of times, it's actually the first way I learned to apply veneer, but I like to just glue it like I glue everything else down now, works better for me, but the glue-as-pore-filler-sealer is valid anyway.

You don't really have to use any sealer at all tho, unless you're gluing onto something like porous Ash.....

• 1 month later...