what sound will i get from this?

OK, I am going to build this guitar starting august, alder body with maple neck, but I was thinking of putting a quilted maple top on it, mind you, this is my own custom design of a V type killer (something like from Neal Moser B) )

anyways, what kind of tone will I get from this? I want something really heavy and rich, not mid range or anything, should I use a maple neck? or something else?

Curtis

P.S. Wes, I took your advice in the PM you sent me, and yes, its alot better to do your own :D

Zakk actually has a maple top about 3/4" thick brightening his tone, and all I have heard (Ozzy era) was not a dark deep tone.

Listen to a Black Label Society... he get a deep and dark tone.

True. BLS rock.

the first guitar i made (and only completed one at this point) had a basswood body. personally, i think it sounded like crap. granted, it was my first and there were some mistakes that could have had a detrimental effect on the tone, but if it were me i'd go for the walnut.

gwm

yea, i am thinking walnut, they also have oak too, but not for me,

Thanks for all your help

Curtis

P.S. This will be a 7 string, so it will be a little deeper anyways since i will be keeping it at about 1-2 steps down (my favorite!!)

Curtis

Ki swordsman,

i did not in any way mean to imply that all basswood is bad or sounds bad. wood from one basswood tree has the possibility of sounding completely different from any other basswood tree. yes, i totally agree that there are good sounding basswood guitars out there.

gwm