hand drill

does anyone know where i could look for a good hand drill? i cant find any at home depot/lowes/sears and i found a 13 dollar fiskars one that looks iffy at ACE hardware and a 42 dollar one at this other place, but that seems a bit expensive.

im looking for this in order to enlarge my pegholes for some schaller tuners, i can find the bits just not the hand drill(im not willing to use a power drill and risk ruining my headstock). i was thinking, is there any way i could do the job with out the use of a drill, kind of rig up some type of device to use the bits with?

What you are looking for is called a brace.....a good one will set you back anywhere between $45-$165!.......You can find one at Bidge City Tools and also in the Garrett-Wade catalogue. If you have never used one, you may do more harm than good......You are best off with a drill press with a centering bit for the accuracy.

ok that idea sounds like the safest and easiest to me so far, thank you, but i have one more question. the two reamers offered on stewmac are the sizes 7/32-3/8, and 3/8-9/16. my tuning peg holes are 11/32, and i need to get to 25/64(10mm). the actual shaft of my schaller tuners aer .390", and a 3/8 reamer will only get me to .375". i cant use the 3/8-9/16 reamer because 3/8 is larger than my current pegholes so it wont fit in..........what should i do? maybe file the outside hole with a file until i can fit the larger reamer in?

well im in high school but you arent allowed use of the equipment unless you are actually in the class and i have a full schedule im graduating at the highest program they offer so i dont have room for it.

im liking the idea of using a reamer from both sides and filing it out so far, but i need to figure out how to ream it since the sizes dont do all of what i need.

you just ream until the outside edge of the hole becomes the size you want. So you can do it with a reamer that tapers to a width wider than what you want. You just don't keep reaming until the reamer can't make it bigger, you have to stop before that happens.

Doing this would probably also help if you wanted to use a drill, I imagine.

I have one tapered reamer that I bought from Harbor Freight many years ago. It's made in japan, and is very good for the price I paid (must have been under $5) . But I bet the ones you get there now are made in China and probably not as good. Maybe a home repair shop has these. I think mine goes up to 1/2".

Yes, it would be best if you had a reamer that had a maximum taper that's exactly the size of the hole you want. maybe they make them. Probably much more expensive to get a more specialized tool like that.

Like I said, it's not the only way, but I'm thinking of how you can minimize the risk of damage.

I guess we're only talking a difference of a few 64th's of an inch. Maybe a drill bit is safe. Even safer if you can just take a hair off with a slightly smaller bit before you run a 10mm in there. I'd have to look up if even such an in between size exists.

well after some playing i found that the job was easily completed, albeit slow, with a round bastard file from home depot. i just went slow and steady, the holes stayed perfectly round and no finish damage, and i used a pin vice with a 7/64 bit to drill the guide pin holes in the headstock. ive got all 6 tuners in tight, and i strung up with no problems in sight, it worked great. thanks for all the advice these tuners rock :D

my tuning peg holes are 11/32, and i need to get to 25/64(10mm).  the actual shaft of my schaller tuners aer .390", and a 3/8 reamer will only get me to .375".

I did it with a battery powered variable drill, did it very slowly and used 5 bits taped for depth in increments. Started with 3/8 through 25/64, first in reverse, then forward, next bit. Granted it was a little nerve racking but I had no problems and will do it that way again.

Just take your time!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone know where i could look for a good hand drill? i cant find any at home depot/lowes/sears and i found a 13 dollar fiskars one that looks iffy at ACE hardware and a 42 dollar one at this other place, but that seems a bit expensive.

im looking for this in order to enlarge my pegholes for some schaller tuners, i can find the bits just not the hand drill(im not willing to use a power drill and risk ruining my headstock). i was thinking, is there any way i could do the job with out the use of a drill, kind of rig up some type of device to use the bits with?

whats the difference between an hand drill and a power drill?

isnt it the same thing?