idiotic soldering questions

guitarmonky55

ok ive done alot of electronic works(replacing pickups/pots/switches etc) but never a full replacement of electronics in a guitar. ive never really been taught or read about 'proper' soldering techniques i just kind of go at it. before doing this big a job i want to make sure on a few points im iffy about.

1)i have always had confusion on this. when i heat the part to solder it, do i want to heat it to the point that i can remove the soldering iron and still melt the solder on the part, or do i want to leave the iron on while applying solder?

2)what exactly is the best way to hold a wire in place while soldering it down(example ground on back of pot casing)and, further, what should i do to hold it down while the solder dries, should i put down the solder and use something else to hold the wire in place while i take the iron away so it can dry or what?

3) a good joint should look......shiny or dull or in between?

4) when i put a wire into the terminal of a pot, should i just lay the wire in so taht it stays or should the wire be bent around the loop of the terminal?

thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated!

1) if you get it that hot you're likely to damage things.....just heat it until the solder jumps into it (iron in one hand....solder in the other)....it makes a better joint doing it that way and you shouldn't need it any hotter than that

2) If I get the wire to stay in position well enough...like soldering lugs on a pot or something I just keep it in place with the solder....then take the solder away and lift the iron off....it should only take a second to cool anyway.....if the wire is springy and being a pain I use needlenose pliers (or fingers if I'm daring) it takes practice holding the pliers and solder in the same hand but it works

3) a good joint is usually shiny....I wouldn't stress about it too much....it's easier to do on a circuit board than on the back of a pot

4) it's easier to solder and easier to know you have a good connection when you wrap the wire...