Source for Les Paul pickups Newbie

slingsbyt45

I am building my first guitar ( Gibson Les Paul ) and am looking for a dealer to purchase a pair of Humbuckers Vintage look and sound.

Many are for sale on Ebay..also there is Stew- Mac and others. Please look at these below or make any suggestions. I am not a rich man.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3726428550

Thanks Guys Gerry Many question to come

i would say buy a set of dimarzio PAF classics. they have a very classic look and tone. i have a PAFpro in the neck position its very nice sounding, nice and classic, with nice crunch, my friend has 2 paf classics in his PRS they sound AMAZING! very classic and nice. think slash, randy rhoads, zepplin, gibson sound,. they are a bit expensive. they are about $70-$80. but there are good ones on ebay. idd say they are a very good choice. if you want a bit more crunch put a PAFpro in the bridge and a classic in the neck. also check out gibson pickups they are amazing in sound and quality. or seymour duncan they are really good too. hope this helps, good luck.

matt

Basswood is a Walmart Tone wood. 

:DB):D:D:D

You do know that the Ibanez contingent puts up with that because the ol' Fish Slapper has proved that he knows what he's talking about, right?

You might want to wait until you've posted a couple of messages before you start antagonizing people - just an observation, no need to flame me! B)

As for budget pickups, I think Simo was trying out a set of Teslas, and kings_x was checking out the Custom Shop Parts P-90s, and Kent Armstrongs got a few nods in a recent thread - I hate to suggest it, somebody always takes offense, but you could try a search. About the Fleabay set, no idea - I can't tell anything about them from the pics, he doesn't even show enough of the leads to tell if they're two or four conductor. Contact the seller and find out what they are, and you can make a more informed decision.

The Gibson Les Paul is a very esthetically pleasing guitar to look at..it far more complex to built than a basswood Strat ( I would prefer Swamp Ash ). I admit I am a newbie.. but I will jump right in a give my comments. I not going to tread water when I really want to swim.

Could someone explain two wire pickups apposed to four wire pickups.

I admit I am a newbie.. but I will jump right in a give my comments. I not going to tread water when I really want to swim.
Yeah, we get a lot of that. Go for it - I'm sure you'll get a reaction! :D

Could someone explain two wire pickups apposed to four wire pickups.

A two conductor humbucker is prewired with the coils in series - a four conductor hum allows you to access both coils individually, so you can split the coils or run them parallel at your discretion.

You're gonna end up with a reputation like Snork (which he's finally getting close to overcoming I think :D ) if you talk like you know what you're talking about when you don't. Whether you want to or not, if you're a newb, you need to do a bunch of forum scouring to get some real knowledge before giving advice. As long as what you're talking about is in your field of expertise, post away, but as your basswood comment shows, tonewood is apparently not in your field.

My comment regarding basswood ( Walmart tone wood ) )was only an equal retort for the Gentleman calling my Les Paul quote " a beloved pink basswood guitars "...I found that insulting ..putting down a newbies' first guitar build and not answering the original question posted is not that encouraging.

Gerry :D

Then what was the purpose and direction of his comment. It had nothing to do with pickups......maybe his amp has been turned up a little too loud for a little too long. Could someone please define his comment and what it had to do with my query regarding pickups for a Gibson Les Paul? Is there not a sane sage among you.

Gerry :D

Is there not a sane sage among you.

B):D:D

Not likely! Those two words don't get a lot of use around here, and are very seldom used together. :D

Seriously, as StonesCreed tried to tell you, that is Coen's signature, ie, it appears on every message he posts. It was not directed at you, and certainly doesn't apply. I have to assume that you don't have much experience on forums like this, so you might want to try to get a feel for what's going on around here before you decide that someone is insulting you. Nobody's telling you not to swim, just try to avoid muddying the water too much. :D

So, did you find some pickups, or are you still looking?

Well I am still trying to get a feel for what is a good less expensive pickup .From what I have heard hanging around guitar shops and such... the offshore stuff is proving to be pretty good bang for the buck. I have a offshore strat copy and several ( what do you call a aged guitar player ) players have said it sounds VERY good.. Still searching the net and gaining knowledge. How do I sound know.....

Gerry :DB)

B):D

Anyway, about the eBay link you gave, slingsbyt45...

Last time I checked, there was one user review on the pickups over at Harmony Central and he was happy with it. For the money, I can vouch for the Mighty Mite Alnico Single Coils, but not the Vintage Buckers since I haven't tried them.

I've dealt with the seller twice and he's a nice guy. I live halfway across the globe and had no problems about payment and shipment. It won't hurt to ask him for his opinion on the pickups.