Solder types

I use Kester 63-37, and I intend to keep using it as long as it's available (lead solder is soon to become extinct, because lead is more poisonous in solder than it is in car batteries, or something like that). I buy the smallest diameter rosin core, and it works great! Silver solder is supposed to be less toxic, but melts at a higher temperature, so even if some say it sounds better, I only recommend it to people with werewolf infestation problems. :D

But I've been (allegedly) poisoning myself with it for years, so you should make up your own mind. I'm sure other people feel differently, and won't hesitate to say so! B)

Make sure you get rosin core NOT acid core. The residue acid will slowly eat away your wires, PC board copper traces and whatever other metal it comes in contact with if you use acid core.

Keith

60/40 is the typical stuff, I think ???. I've been using that real thin stuff from radio shack that has a bit of silver in it.

I worked in a factory for a while where I sat in front of a pool of melted solder and dipped the ends of wires in it 4 hours a day. Breathing that stuff made me mean as hell (ME , mean ? who would have thought ?).

I'll still often dip the solder or part to be soldered in a little rosin, even though the solder has rosin in it already.

Solder wire is made out of silver, lead, thin, zinc and other alloys, the most common ones are silver / lead and thin/lead, this are found on different ratios, 10/90, 30/70, 60/40, 50/50. I like the 60/40 and the 30/70, this ones give a better appearance once done. And as long as you solder in a well ventilated area, you should be good, the lead in the solder won't affect you because the fumes are from the rosin core, and not the lead, the problem with lead is when inhaled in small particles or ingested, and from fumes from lead based paints, there are a few companies making lead free stuff but Ihaven't been able to get my hands on them so I can't say anything about them...

If you'd like to try lead-free solder, it's available at Radio Shack:

0.032" Diameter Lead-Free Solder

I've been using Kester 44 forever (literallly 30+ years) - it's reliable, consistent and inexpensive:

Kester Solder 63/37 .015

The lead issue that has brought about the impending ban is not about primary exposure, but as I understand it, because lead solder in discarded consumer electronics in landfills is contaminating the ground water. Too many obsolete computers and Gameboys, I guess.