Is there such a thing as...

sonicparke

a capacitor socket? Like an IC socket but for caps so I can easily cahnge out the cap on my tone control unitl I find what I like.

Also if I'm using a 2 humbucker 1 vol 1 tone configuration with a 500K volume, would I want to use a 500k or 250k tone pot? Which would work best for that setup?

Thanks.

this one work to make passive crossovers for audio systems, it might work for your application, just set it, once you like the tone that you attained, set it inside the control cavity and place the cover and tht's it... It all depends if they have the farrads that you want...

LINK

this one work to make passive crossovers for audio systems, it might work for your application, just set it, once you like the tone that you attained, set it inside the control cavity and place the cover and tht's it... It all depends if they have the farrads that you want...

LINK

Whoa, thats really cool. I'll have to get one of those.

The problem with those variable air gap caps is that they're rated at such low capacitance. The usual range in tone caps is between .1 and .01 µF, so you'll need to wire at least 20 of the biggest (500pF) in parallel to get into the ballpark. I'd use either the SIP pin strip socket headers listed earlier or a TO-18 or TO-5 transistor socket, or kludge up a 6 way rotary switch, so I could A/B the sounds directly.

you can build your own tone control with a home made variable cap based of the fact that you are moving two plates further away for mor capacitance. closer for less.. think about this two plates on a threaded shaft. you turn it and they get closer counter clock wise it and they get further apart. also it depends on what you want. personaly i like .1uf on the tone pot as it is a great bridge to bright neck pickup trick. makes the guitar really speak helps out to get that santanna tone. [of course you have to know the licks too..] but as far as sockets go.. sure just get an 8pin socket.. and cut it in half. and wire up the outer lugs.. ie pins 1 and 4 to the tone circuit. and clip pins 2 ,3 off and socket the cap.. that much cap space wil allow almost any cap to be put in there. but you would benefit from asking yourself what do i want my tone control to do before i go through all the problems of doing that.