Miniture hex bobbins, how?

Matt

Hi,

Im wondering aout winding a hex type pickup in humbucker style.

So have two sets of 6 individual pickups.

But im stuck on how to make cylindrical bobbins with a 5mm dia hole for the pole/magnet. and the whole thing to have a dia of 10 mm (so they can fit in a line together)

Also im wondering if these would need an preamp. im hoping to wind one set with AWG 41 and the other set with AWG 43. The boobins also need to be about 10mm tall.

Has anyone any ideas? ive herd of the using relays idea, but i suppose ud need a preamp for those as they wouldn't have much output.

Matt

But im stuck on how to make cylindrical bobbins with a 5mm dia hole for the pole/magnet. and the whole thing to have a dia of 10 mm (so they can fit in a line together)

Also im wondering if these would need an preamp.  im hoping to wind one set with AWG 41 and the other set with AWG 43. The boobins also need to be about 10mm tall.

Have you ever made pickup bobbins before? Things have to be very, very accurate in order to fit and work properly. It would take quite a bit of work to get an acceptable bobbin (or 12 of them in your case). You could try hunting for a ready made product that you could modify - for instance very small cotton reels might be suitable and would take a lot of the work out of it.

You mention that your bobbins are going to be 10mm diameter but remeber that they will be a lot fatter once they have been wound. If you've never wound with AWG 41 before you should be aware that it is relatively thick and will fill up your minature bobbins very quickly. Bear in mind that you've got to squeeze 12 of these in the space of a humbucker so I think you may run out of space. A better option might be to use AWG 44 and 45 as it would be a lot easier to fit it all in or you could always make your bobbins taller.

OK well i think ive got an idea how to do it. I was using the different guage wires but same number of turns to try to create the Dimarzio evolution humbuckers way of getting more harmonics

let say the core dia of these things is about 6.5mm for a 5mm core, with the overall dia of the top and bottom plate 10mm?

I thought of small cotton bobbins but didn't now where to get any or if they come that small.

Matt

i have an evolution and its the same wire on one coilas the other. i have it on a micrometer and there isn't a cock hairs difference in either one. however this is a brdge pickup and the two coils do have different dc resistance. one is aproximately. 6.9k adn the other is around 5.7k if anyone else would take apart there evo and look to see what this is about. i ahve had a half a dozen sets of these as i have replaced all of them in peoples guitars and kept the evo's as i kind o like them but not really i like my tone zone better than that. personally i would go with the erno zwan way and floip them on there sides

if you do it just right you can wind a decent coil using the plsstic sewing mcahine bobbins and the after you pot them break off the little pieces that keep it on the bobin winder. hell you can even wind them on the sweing machine in no time flat. i have done this a few times. onec you pot it it will never make a difference anyway. and the exact size i dont' know on the bobbins but when you break off the tops and

bottoms i know you can fit twelcve in a humbucker slot. also anoter way is to go to th ehardware store and find something you can use as a a mold of what you would like ifnd a brass insert they make nice loittle small ones. and then go ahead and cast it in a bobbin shape in plaster of paris[dont'; for get to grease the mold.] and then melt some plastic on a double boiler. [personally i lik the old pop bottles adn cut them up into plieces and bput them in the blender and the boil them down in there own juices.] and cast you a bobin. of the correct dimesnions. its about 30 minutes of shopping 1 hour of setup time and then 30 minutes of casting and cooling. not too much to ask for. you can also pot them in fiberglas resin if you want to do an older dimzrio trick

Safety Nazi Warning: Be extremely careful melting plastic, especially over an open flame, as the flash temperature of some plastics is quite low, and the gases released are often heavier than air, making a potentially explosive combination. An electric hotplate and a double boiler used outdoors, along with heavy fire-proof protective gear and a fire extinguisher are all highly recommended. Burning plastic in contact with unprotected skin will just about guarantee third degree burns (think napalm).

Using a casting resin or coating an armature made of card stock or fiberboard with a fiberglass resin sounds a lot safer to me.

well looking at the Dimarzio patent, it says it uses wires of different guages with the same number of turns, to give two different resonant frequencies, but also to keep the humbucking effect with the same number of turns.

Does anyone know what they might be doing?

Or even better does anyone know how i might be able to achieve the desired effect anyway, i was thinking of AWG 41 and 43 to keep the higher freqs, but I want a higher output than the evo.

I suppose having coils of different resistant would give different res. freqs. but also would not humbuck verywell?