how do you cut the body

i think i have a router. how long will it take

Im scare of saws. Thats why i dont have any.

yeah, man. that thing can slip can knock your spam off... ouch.

I'd say leave it to a professional... maybe Lowe's or Home Depot can do it for you. get a template. or draw lines.

or if yu're really desperate to do it yourself... you can always sand until the desired body shape is formed. :D

You can do it with a router but your going to have to gradually get down to your body shape doing it in layers of course along the edge. Chances are you will burn a bit or two in the process as well but if thats what your comfortable with I don't see why it can't be done.

Borrow a jigsaw and learn how to use it on scrap wood. Personally I wouldn't use a router, especially if you're scared of saws. Routers are about 50 times more nasty than a jigsaw. Hell, I bet quite a few people here have nearly cut their plums off with one. I know I have.

Just be very carefull, keep the area (especially the floor) clear so that you can do it in one go without tripping or knocking anything over. I always knew this but only actually learnt after the plum chopping incident :D

You could go to a cabnate shop, or lumber yard and get them to cut it out with a band saw. Of course you should offer them a little bit of cash to do it.

and you really should learn to use the tools you need to make a guitar, before you start to make it.

Why don't you try building a guitar 'kit' first, where the neck and body are already done, all the parts are there...there is still work to do to assemble it properly, it still takes some skill to get it playing great and you'll likely have to finish it too.

A good first choice and introduction to 'our' world. :D

Learn to walk before you run and all that jazz.

Yeah, routers are easily 10 times more dangerous than a jigsaw. Here's what I would recommend:

Go to a store like Home Depot or something.

Get a jigsaw and a heavy duty blade at least 2" long, if the people working there want to make a sale at all ask them if they will show you how to use it.

One problem I had with my jigsaw is that the wood was hard to cut through, take it easy to avoid burning the wood. Some people suggest drilling guide holes first.

Also it doesn't cut at exactly 90 degrees, so I used my spindle sander to finish it up.

And like my shop teacher said, "If there's any tool you don't feel comfortable using, find another one or get someone to do it for you"

A jigsaw is electric yes.

Building a guitar from scratch requires pretty advanced woodworking skiils. If you've never used tools before I'd try a kit like Drak suggested earlier.

In the meantime you could try a simpler woodworking project to get used to your tools. Maybe you could try building a stand for your kit guitar?