good and cheap pickups?

Nalo1022

Im fixing up an old guitar for my uncle. Well all it really needed was some new strings, a net set of locking screws for a floyd rose nut, a lil bit of wd40 adn some tlc, so since it cost practically nuthing to get into shape the pickups are prolly gonna get replaced. He doesnt have tons of money to spend and he isnt a tone nazi, so ive been looking around at some cheap picups. What are some good cheap pickups? Ive been looking at the mighty mites adn the reviews on harmony central seem to suggest they are pretty good.

p.s the pickups i will be replacing are 2 singles coils and a bridge humbucker

I use the Mighty Mites quite a bit. I own 6 strats, all with different pickups, and the one with the Mighty Mites is my favorite, followed by the one with Duncan JBs I think they are great pickups for the money and I am a "tone nazi". I play through a blackface Fender Twin, a Dumble, and a Marshall TSL60 and they sound great through all of them. I play mainly blues/rock. (Stevie Ray is god!) They definitly have more output that stock Epiphone and Squiers. They also have a better tonal range. Plenty of highs and lows with just enough mids. They aren't Fralins by any chance, but they are great for the money. I personally can't stand the EMG Selects or HZs. If you're going to spend the money get the real deal. My only concern is that $71 is alot of money for Mighty Mites.

Check this out!

I buy tons of stuff from them and have always had great service. The reason I am showing you the loaded pickgaurd is because of a little trick I learned a few years ago. Buy the preloaded pickgaurd, put the new pickups in your guitar, put the old pickups on the pickgaurd and sell it on ebay. Start the bidding at $.99 and let it go. I do that all the time, and I basically have never paid for pickups. Someone will always pay more money for the cheaper pickups. B) Man, I love ebay! :D Even if you don't get but half of your money back, that's still better than $71. I have found that either the white pearloid or tortoise shell pickgaurds sell the best. For me, anyway. Keep in mind, if someone is buying a preloaded pickgaurd, they usually want a different look for there guitar as well. So stay away from the solid white and black pickguards.

That's just my opinion though. :D

:D You're a brave man, but be careful - if the guys over at TQR catch you playing Mighty Mites through a Dumble, they're liable to revoke your Tone Nazi party membership! :DB):D:D

I've also found that Mighty Mites are quite good for the price - but I'm more of a Tone Libertarian, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. B)

Well te 71 is for 2 single coils and a humbucker and that includes shipping so i think thats pretty good....and the gutiar im putting these in doesnt have a pickguard but you sound liek you know what your tlkaiong about so ill trust ya

I use Mighty Mite Single coils in my Fernandes Strat. I'm quite happy with the tone and I've decided to leave the logo on the covers alone for now. It's hard to beat considering how much money I spent on it. Then again, I'm no tone nazi either. :D

I was also considering to try the vintage buckers, but I got a used Dimarzio Air Zone cheap from just around here. Some other time, perhaps.

My only concern with the prewired pickguards is that I think they're loaded with pickups with ferrite magnets, not alnico. I don't know how different the tone will be, but I'm sure that would be a concern for some people. So, I think it's a good idea to clarify that with the seller in case it's an issue for you.

Ive got Mightymite pickups on 2 of my cort electrics... 2 Motherbuckers on one, and some other pickups which im not sure of on the other. I cant give a detailed review cause im short of time, but in general considering they are budget sorta pickups, I would say they are quite good. The ones I have put out nice harmonics, and are fairly balanced for a decent clean or distorted sound. Nothing amazing, but great value for the money.