Yew neck?

Hey guys... Has anyone ever worked with yew to make a guitar neck? I have bought about seven slabs cos thy were cheap! But the wood is a beautiful colour! So I was wondering if anyone had ever come across it as a material? Usually I build grandfather clocks out of it to sell on but well I thought I might give it a try on a tele copy... Anything I should really look out for?

cheers!

P.S If anyone wants pics I'll email you them... still cant figure out how to post pics on this damn thing... STOOPID!

A picture would be nice! You can e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.

If you have it uploaded on the web somewhere you simple hit the "IMG" button when your making a post and enter the URL (web address) of your picture in the pop-up which you will see, and the forum software will do the rest.

From what I know about Yew, they grow very slowly. I've seen some many 100's of years old in England (The Wookie Hole, anyone?).

Yew should be a really hard wood and dense because of it. I'm still new at this game so please get someone elses comments before you dig in.

ok I've realised I've bought way too much of this stuff... but then sice I got it all for like 10 pounds who cares right??? Anyways I'm not sure if I can do this ( Brian Please correct me if I'm wrong ) But I have seven boards of this stuff left from what I need... They measure 1.5"x 45"x 7" if any one ways some to experiment with then all they have to do is pay the postage from me to you. Bear in mind I'm in Oz at the moment.... but either way its ur call! Free wood... now if only I was 18 again... ahhhhhh

anyone wants let me know.! :D

Cheers

Bro your giving it away :D you can post that anywhere, maybe you should start a post in the classifieds though to generate a little more interest.

Do you have any idea how much a single piece weights?

It would be a good start to figure out the shipping since one piece could be cut in half and glued together to make a body blank.

Once we know the weight we can go to the Australia Post website, then of course you can get current exchange rates here!

Guest AlexVDL
okay, I checked all the online translators and not a single one was able to translate " yew" into Dutch.

hehe, anyone have a clue what yew wood is in Dutch? :-)

Alex????

Hi tsl602000, Yew is the English word for Taxus hout. Don't ask me what that is :D:D

Just found it on a site B)

Guest AlexVDL

:D May I still think in Dutch, or should I think in English all the time too B)

Wie gaat er mee naar de hottentottententententoonstelling??

Try to translate this one Coen :D

Ye cats. Anyway, if it's English yew you've got it's Taxus baccata and is sometimes used in making bentwood furniture. "Yew tree trunks grow in a twisted manner affecting the wood’s use in applications. Yew’s irregular growth also impacts the wood’s grain. It can be 'unpredictable and volatile to work,' according to Luke Hughes in the book, The Encyclopedia of Wood." Of course it was also used for longbows back in The Day. Try Woodbin's listing for some idea about the propterties of the stuff.