Top Wood

camcool

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it isn't crotch unfortunately but it's curly and musical grade

I got it from westpenn hardwoods

I live an hour from their shop and it's handy that they offer quartersawn and musical grade wood

cool stuff

does anyone know where to get goncalo alves crotchwood 

Um ***?

Do you have the wood? Do you not belive that crotch wood is gonna be spendy? Are you really as dense as you are coming off?

You have been given numerous suggestions by the seasoned old timers on how to approach your first, and ignored them. Yes you're special, but ya aint that special. Your first will be nowhere close to your goals and dreams. For the love of God man, listen to what has been said. Its really for your own good. I dont want to see you disappointed because you spent an astronomical amount on your first in wood alone, and have a less that perfect guitar that is made of woods that should have been saved as a later like 3rd or 20th guitar.

I would let soneone urinate in my eye if everyone would please shut up about this.

haha, yea it is kinda getting annoying, we all know cam cool is NOT gonna find some goncalo alves crotchwood in a classifieds section in a guitar making forum... who would sell that crap?? I wouldnt, heck, i'd make something if not a guitar if i just had it lying around not for any use, i owuldnt sell it.

you need a serious lesson in money managment, if you make 80 a week mowing lawns it could tkae 5 weeks to get the money, then you blow it on some very pretty wood, But then being the naive person you are, and not follow advice, go and cut it up, and totally screw up, and then come running back here, crying that you screwed up a $400 piece of wood. my suggestion (and everybody elses here), is to get your self some cheaper wood, a nice piece of alder, and get on to making a guitar, save the $400 figured wood, for your later projects.

[edited for content: vanilla post ahead, expect delays]

Camcool, what you are looking for is next to impossible to find! It is an item that makes it into the hands of only those who are going to extraordinary lengths to get it. If you had connections with friends in the lumber business, they could talk to their importer, who would in turn talk to his sources, and the sources in Africa or wherever would ask the actual guys doing the foresting to save a chunk of crotch for import to America. You would pay for the wood, the planing, the kiln drying, the import fees, and this is ONLY if you have really good friends in the lumber industry who have really good friends in the import industry, who have really good friends in the forestry industry, who have really good friends who actually cut the trees. Get what I'm saying?

That kid of wood belongs in the hands of an expert craftman, and I can only guess that you're not a professional. Alembic builds with those woods. Maybe some of the pros here would be up to it, if they personally felt ready for that kind of wood.

You won't find crotch goncalo without going to these lengths. Please stop asking, it's getting monotonous and irritating. I am warning you from one novice to another, so you don't embarass yourself going to Home Depot and asking for these woods. PLEASE take our advice and start out with a reasonable, realistic goal. Get a $20 alder body blank and a flame maple veneer. Maybe a goncalo alves veneer if your heart is set on it. Try building a body. Try doing accurate routs with templates. Do it 20 times. Sell the 5 best guitars and get yourself a goncalo crotch top. IF you're ready at that point; I can't say I would be ready at that point. Then you can think about using extravagant, rare, and expensive woods.