Can Car Audio Speakers Go Into A Guitar Cabinet?

sjaguar13

OK, does somebody else want to try explaining why getting two 8 ohm speakers is not a good idea?  :D

Have you found 6" 8 ohm musical instrument speakers..I couldn't. Otherwise it wouldn't be a bad idea. Running them in series would make 16 ohms, running in para would make the 4ohms, but I haven't seen any.

Have you found 6" 8 ohm musical instrument speakers..

Eminence Alpha 6A speaker

Just to ease my confusion, what is our target impedance? I had assumed from this

The head unit amp thingie (you know what I am talking about) is 80 watts at 8 ohms
that we wanted an 8 ohm load. If that's not the case, then I'm the one who's been speaking from the wrong orifice, sorry! :D

Have you found 6" 8 ohm musical instrument speakers..

Eminence Alpha 6A speaker

Just to ease my confusion, what is our target impedance? I had assumed from this

The head unit amp thingie (you know what I am talking about) is 80 watts at 8 ohms
that we wanted an 8 ohm load. If that's not the case, then I'm the one who's been speaking from the wrong orifice, sorry! :D

Not totally, the issue is getting 8 ohms with two speakers. These wired will end up being 4 ohms (parallel) or 16 ohms (series which will work). The optimal solution would be two 16 ohm in parallel or two 4 ohm in series. B)

In it right now is 2 50 watt, 4 ohm speakers series. Those blew up as soon as I turned the amp up. I want something that can actually be played fairly loud. The Eminence 6A are the same as the cheaper speakers I was looking at. 100 watts, 8 ohms. If I put those in parallel to get 16 ohms, does it make it 200 watts? That would pretty much be 100 watts at 8, the same as before?

In it right now is 2 50 watt, 4 ohm speakers series. Those blew up as soon as I turned the amp up. I want something that can actually be played fairly loud. The Eminence 6A are the same as the cheaper speakers I was looking at. 100 watts, 8 ohms. If I put those in parallel to get 16 ohms, does it make it 200 watts? That would pretty much be 100 watts at 8, the same as before?

Yes they'll be able to handle more power wired to 16 ohms but also your amp will go from being an 80 watt to a 40 watt. Power ratings are measured at a resistance, so if your amp is 80 @ 8 ohms, it'll likely be 40 @ 16 ohms or 160 @ 4 ohms (though it sounds like this amp will smoke at 4 ohms)..

What is this amp anywho...putting 6"ers with that much power seens highly unusual?!?

If 2 100 watt speakers at 8 ohms would be 100 watts at 16 (by the way, is that right? Do you add the watts together, then divide by two, 100 watts + 100 watts = 100 watts with two times the ohms?) Is that too far off of the 40 watt amp at 16 ohms, or do you think that's the closest I am going to get?

What about 2 50 watt @ 4 ohm speakers be in series, 100 @ 8?

It's a Boss MG-80.

If 2 100 watt speakers at 8 ohms would be 100 watts at 16 (by the way, is that right? Do you add the watts together, then divide by two, 100 watts + 100 watts = 100 watts with two times the ohms?) Is that too far off of the 40 watt amp at 16 ohms, or do you think that's the closest I am going to get?

What about 2 50 watt @ 4 ohm speakers be in series, 100 @ 8?

It's a Boss MG-80.

your second statement is closest. Taking each speaker as is for it's rating A pair of 100 watt at 8 ohms SHOULD be able to handle 200 watts a 16 ohms. Resistance being higher is lighter on the power source but also, the power source produces less power at a higher resistance.