Branding Irons

I had a website but it isn't in my favorites. If you were getting it done just once, You could find someone that has one. Where I live everyone with cattle has an iron (we have an electric one and about 7 non-electric) but they are not suited for guitars because of the size.

If you are handy with a welder you could make a non electric one. It is a long metal handle with the metal brand on the end. We have propane stoves for heating them, technically you could use any heat source. You leave it in the fire for a bit and when it's hot you apply the brand. It takes practice to get it even and you need to be careful to get the right depth. To long and it burns the skin (ouch) which probably isn't too big a deal with wood. Not long enough and it will go away.

why not inlay it?

that would make it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay classier in my opinon

Curtis

'Cause this is a rebel-rousin, beer-drinkin, southern-fried Telecaster!

Seriously, I want to brand it not only because it WILL look better (trust me!) but the logo has our brand in it. I'll post a pic in a second.

If I remember rightly tdog does a lot of branding. Although I haven't seen him bouncing around this forum for a while. He does hang around a drum building website so check a few them and see if you can find some of his work. He's very good at it too :D

If you really wanted to make your own brand, I could imagine carving the design in wood (or potato, for that matter) making a plaster mold of it, and then pouring pewter into that (or steel if you can), heating it with a torch or a campfire, and branding away. However, there are easier ways: a sharp (not chisel) point soldering iron, or heck, a magnifying glass on a bright day gives you a surprising amount of burning control, especially on hardwoods.

• 4 weeks later...
If I remember rightly tdog does a lot of branding.

I'm not sure if I am the one to whom you are refering, but I sign everything I make with a dental-like tool.....an engraving tool that does about 400,000 rpms......with a good sharp bit you can write your name or anything else for that matter, as easily as you were writing with a pen.....There are many of these on the market...mine is manufacture by SCM and was @$400.....A Turbo-carver is similar.......The way I see it, if you get a brand made, it might cost $50 or more dollars(its been a while since I priced one).....If you bought a Turbo-Carver for $160 or so, you'd have a tool that is capable of many carving tasks. I use my SCM tool much more than a Dremel.....The SCM is capable of very detailed work.

Here are links to a body that I used the SCM to open up some inclusions in the burl of a body so I could inlay some crushed turquoise.....also a link to my engraving tool.

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=4696

http://www.scmsysteminc.com/engraving.php

If I remember rightly tdog does a lot of branding.  Although I haven't seen him bouncing around this forum for a while.  He does hang around a drum building website so check a few them and see if you can find some of his work.  He's very good at it too  :D

I think you mean e-dog, the guy who does the custom drum shells.

He does really cool looking work.

If I remember rightly tdog does a lot of branding.  Although I haven't seen him bouncing around this forum for a while.  He does hang around a drum building website so check a few them and see if you can find some of his work.  He's very good at it too  B)

I think you mean e-dog, the guy who does the custom drum shells.

He does really cool looking work.

Thats the dude.

Sorry for the confusion, but it comes with the terratory when I get involved :D