Finishing Stuff

Well Lads,

Ive nearly done my guitar, but i wanna know, what kind of laquer do "fender or the likes", guitars use, i dont know anything about finishing,

What i thought was:

Cut the body out, and sand it down Till im happy with the shape, then sand it down with fine sand paper and the just Clear laquer it, am i right?

Is there anything ye skillfull guitar makers can tell me,

I know i probubly should of posted it in The "Finishing" section, but i figuered i would get more responses from people this way,

I made a guitar before and i put Polyurithine Glossy Varnish on it, and it looked crap, all bumpy!

I want it as smooth as a Babys Bottom! and if you could tell me a Website where i can get my hands on this stuff, i would be gratefull

Thanks Alot Lads, im sure some of ya's can help me.

......Keith

It's important to wetsand between coats.Make sure that the finish is even and no shiny spots arfter sanding.Clean all the dust off and respray.

I like to put on a coat or two of Watco's Danish Finishing Oil before the last coat.

It takes a little longer with the drying time but the results are worth it.

Well Lads,

Ive nearly done my guitar, but i wanna know, what kind of laquer do "fender or the likes", guitars use, i dont know anything about finishing,

Fender quit using lacquer a long time ago, and according to this reliable link at All Things Strat.com they are painted using automotive Polyester or Polyurethane(hint: look at the bottom of the link beside Body Finish). That's not your basic Polyurethane though, it's the 2 component automotive finish that is sprayed with a paint gun. You might want to stick with Lacquer for now.

This first link is to the Guitar ReRanch. This is where I purchased all the supplies I needed to finish my guitar in nitrocellulose lacquer. Very good products, especially the grain filler he sells.

This is the link that will answer all your questions. It outlines a basic finishing schedule, and if followed, will yeild a perfect finish as you said you want. Reranch Refinishing 101

This is the guitar refinishing and restoration forum. It, like this forum, will prove and invaluable resource when you need info on guitar finishing.

I finished this Flying V using ReRanch products, to give you an idea of the result.