Model name for the first of the LGM line

LGM Guitars

what is a good model name?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I have been following for a while I just signed in I think the guitar is awsome. Mantis seems like a cool name, but what about Triton. Have you ever considered the Greek gods Apollo, Achillies, etc. ?

I also like the idea of looking to mythology for a name, but this one's just begging to be called 'Shiva', as in 'I am become death, the shatterer of worlds.'

Seriously sweet wicked-looking axe.

:D

Well, it hit me today, I was looking at the guitar for about an hour, and a word that I didn't even know the meaning of popped into my head and so I looked it up and I think it fits well :D

leviathan

n 2: monstrous sea creature symbolizing evil in the Old Testament

leviathan

a transliterated Hebrew word (livyathan), meaning "twisted," "coiled." In Job

3:8, Revised Version, and marg. of Authorized Version, it denotes the dragon

which, according to Eastern tradition, is an enemy of light;

denotes any large animal that moves by

writhing or wriggling the body, the whale, the monsters of the deep." This word

is also used figuratively for a cruel enemy, as some think "the Egyptian host,

crushed by the divine power, and cast on the shores of the Red Sea

It seems totally appropriate for an 8-string to be named after a "monster of the deep"! :D

First of all Leviathan is a great name for it... I have a CD from David T. chastain called Elegant Seduction and the record company is called Leviathan... (Leviathan Productions) I really like that name, I think you can close the voting now... B)

PS.. why this people saying that it is a 8 string, I know that you are building one, but the picture of the one here is a 7...

• 1 month later...

Jeremy, I love love love love love love love

this guitar you created!

I'm so pleased to see how far you've come over the years!!

Great job, bro!!!

As for the name...

Leviathon..

Actually, the Hebrew for that is

Lamed-Vav-Tet-Hey-Nun: LVTHN

Meaning, A sea monster defeated by YHWH: Yahweh..

Additionally, the Satanic Pentagram that has the symbols at each of the 5 points actual spells out exactly what i wrote above: Lamed-Vav-Tet-Hey-Nun: LVTHN

(pretty wild that they worship a defeated god)

My suggestion is to scrap that name

and roll with a different one..

Keep up the great building!!

Scott

Jeremy, I love love love love love love love

this guitar you created!

I'm so pleased to see how far you've come over the years!!

Great job, bro!!!

As for the name...

Leviathon..

Actually, the Hebrew for that is

Lamed-Vav-Tet-Hey-Nun: LVTHN

Meaning, A sea monster defeated by YHWH: Yahweh..

Additionally, the Satanic Pentagram that has the symbols at each of the 5 points actual spells out exactly what i wrote above: Lamed-Vav-Tet-Hey-Nun: LVTHN

(pretty wild that they worship a defeated god)

My suggestion is to scrap that name

and roll with a different one..

Keep up the great building!!

Scott

Noun 1. leviathan - the largest or most massive thing of its kind; "it was a leviathan among redwoods"; "they were assigned the leviathan of textbooks"

freak, lusus naturae, monstrosity, monster - a person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed 

2. leviathan - monstrous sea creature symbolizing evil in the Old Testament

mythical creature, mythical monster - a monster renowned in folklore and myth

Since you got to be literal about the meaning of a word.

from anothe Site

Dictionary of Demons, Fred Gettings 1988

In the Bible the leviathan is mentioned in Job 41, Psalm 74, 14, Psalm 104, 26 and Isaiah 27:1. The word 'leviathan' in Hebrew means approximately "that which gathers itself into folds" or "that which is drawn out". There is much confusion about the translocation of the word in it's Biblical context, however, and theologians have to differ about it's meaning, though the general idea is that it refers to some huge animal, almost certainly linked with water, as the reference in Job 41 would suggest. In Job 41:1-2 the word might well refer to a crocodile, but in Job 41:15-17, the description is minute the creature appears to be scaled (these represent perhaps his pride) so closely that no air may pass between the scales, which is not true of the crocodile.

[...snip comments on Whale, P. H. Gosse, Typhon, ruler of dragons, Thomas Hobbes (The Leviathan, or the Matter, Form and Power of a Commonwealth]

The Leviathan of the poet Blake is a coiled sea serpent, in Blake's vision a 'crooked serpent' (which is closer to the Hebrew than any mere crocodile), a symbol of the warring evil in man. Monstrous though they are, Leviathan and Behemoth are said by Blake to be 'erecting pillars in the deepest hell to reach the heavenly arches'.... In a marginal note Blake has Leviathan as king over the Children on Pride.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Leviathan \Le*vi"a*than\ (l[-e]*v[imac]"[.a]*than), n. [Heb. livy[=a]th[=a]n.]

1. An aquatic animal, described in the book of Job, ch. xli., and mentioned in other passages of Scripture.

Note: It is not certainly known what animal is intended, whether the crocodile, the whale, or some sort of serpent.

2. The whale, or a great whale. --Milton.

WordNet ® 1.6

1: the largest or most massive thing of its kind; "it was a leviathan among redwoods"; "they were assigned the leviathan of textbooks"

2: monstrous sea creature symbolizing evil in the Old Testament

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Leviathan a transliterated Hebrew word (livyathan), meaning "twisted," "coiled."

In Job 3:8, Revised Version, and marg. of Authorized Version, it denotes the dragon which, according to Eastern tradition, is an enemy of light; in 41:1 the crocodile is meant; in Ps. 104:26 it "denotes any large animal that moves by writhing or wriggling the body, the whale, the monsters of the deep."

This word is also used figuratively for a cruel enemy, as some think "the Egyptian host, crushed by the divine power, and cast on the shores of the Red Sea" (Ps. 74:14). As used in Isa. 27:1, "leviathan the piercing [R.V. 'swift'] serpent, even leviathan that crooked [R.V. marg. 'winding'] serpent," the word may probably denote the two empires, the Assyrian and the Babylonian.

The Devil's Dictionary (1993)

An enormous aquatic animal mentioned by Job. Some suppose it to have been the whale, but that distinguished ichthyologer, Dr. Jordan, of Stanford University, maintains with considerable heat that it was a species of gigantic Tadpole (_Thaddeus Polandensis_) or Polliwig -- _Maria pseudo-hirsuta_. For an exhaustive description and history of the Tadpole consult the famous monograph of Jane Potter, _Thaddeus of Warsaw_.

The name is awsome, but if you are going to read into it here is the meaning, also that pentagram is used by Wiccans.

While various interpretations for the pentagram abound, a common understanding of the religious meaning of the symbol is that it represents five equidistant elements: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit, each bound within the circle of life, death, and rebirth. Here then is a display of a central ideology behind Wicca: to live one's life in harmony with these elements, representative of features of the self, and in union with the cycles of nature. There are other interpretations of the pentagram such as a human figure, limbs outstretched bound by the cosmos or the cycle of nature, but nearly all of these explanations of the pentagram examine it as a glyph with a symbolic importance other than as a simple symbol of the faith.

So I guess that nobody can be happy with one thing and all go to give their side of the story. And we can go on and on and on... so.

Honestly, I not trying to 'debate' you.. but it is what it is.

Colorful, "new" definitions of the word doesnt change the etymology.

The Hebrew is Twisted and Coiled, in references to the monster.

They wouldnt speak, my leg is Leviathaned in the rope.. etc.

It was specifically used as reference in context.

Additionally, what your source calls " Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit, each bound within the circle of life, death, and rebirth etc etc...."

Is pure deception my freind..

The letters are plain and simple- HEBREW!

And they mean what they mean. not some new agy mystical meaning..

As for your search on the definition:

I dont think that the other sources you reference

are the foremost expert on Hebrew etymology....

It seems you may have omitted some of the research on that site..:

A term that has come to mean any formidable, huge or monstrous creature. The word is also associated with Satan, and identified as one of his demons, put in charge of all of the maritime regions. In some accounts the creature is credited — or blamed, to be more precise — with being the serpent who seduced Eve in the Garden of Eden.

The word 'Leviathan' in Hebrew means approximately 'that which gathers itself into folds' or 'that which is drawn out'. There is much confusion about the translation of the word in its biblical context, however it seems to refers to some huge animal, almost certainly linked with water. Some translators think the word might refer to a crocodile, others that it is a whale, or even a large ship. The Leviathan of the English poet William Blake (1757-1827) was a coiled sea serpent

Like I said, Im not trying to debate you, but I spend alot of my time researching language and history and the roots/origins of words etc and I beleive that if you would use a word such as LVTHN, it is prudent to be aware of its root definition and not just the way the contemporary world or mystical realm would like to perceive it.

--------------------

Edited by litchfield

Not taken as a debate, just that there are a lot or religions around and each one twist things their own way. Hence the pentagram example. Also you got the 4 Crown prince ( http://www.dpjs.co.uk/crownprinces.html ) which the Leviathan is suppose to be one off. This is what this quote means.

A term that has come to mean any formidable, huge or monstrous creature. The word is also associated with Satan, and identified as one of his demons,

Another definition, this is the one that you posted .

Leviatan: From Hebrew, LVIThN (usually written Leviathan instead of Leviatan), - the Crooked or Piercing Serpent or Dragon.

I went to Cath Scool for 10 yrs and not like the ones here in the states, ones thought by Spanish nuns plus this was all that I used to do for th 1st 16 yrs of my life, after that I got tired, but I can debate with almost anybody about religion,,, not interested here this is a guitar forum or whats left of (too many changes lately)

I like your opinion, so I got my own. I don't care were the word came from if it sound good, is catchy and will give it a punch, I would care less what it meant in hebrew or spanish or English. There are many words in spanish that are curse words in other spanish speaking places... but not were I come from.

This is cool info, the one that I would love to talk about for days, not boring litterature, but mythical stuff.

EDIT to add

Litch, when you edit somenthing, can you put it in red like Kevan does, and a little explanation like Wes does... that way I know what somebody wrote and not what was inserted or changed.

SOORRRYY for the thread jacking here Jeremy!!!!

Edited by Maiden69