Slowing a DC motor

Hotrock

B)

I've built my pickup winder and I have to say that it's very strangle looking, mainly because it's made from a remote controled car and some mechano. My only problem is that I want so slow the motor down, ideally I'd like to be able to control the speed as the remote is an on/off job.

Can I put something like a variable resistor on the wires going to the motor (well one of them)? I don't really want to be fiddling with the pcb.

I'll try to borrow the camera and take some pics, it should give you all a laugh. It works though :D

Gearings not an option unfortunately. From the research that I've been doing this morning it looks like 1000rpm should be ok for winding.

My boss (who's an electrical engineer) recons that it will be load dependant as it's probably a series wound motor. I think I might knock up something to apply a load to the shaft for speed control. A friction type of control.

I'll try to borrow a camera this weekend and take some pics for you all. Just shows what can be done in a night with a screw driver and a bit of peace and quiet. It's not very neat at the minute but it spins and counts, I'm going to go over it and make it more sterdy (probably with gaffer tape :D ). Just have to build the bit to hold the pup on the shaft, which should take a few minutes.

Gearing will give you a much tighter coil. My first winder was a dremel type motor connected to a transformer to change the voltage. What would happen was the motor wouldn't move at the lower voltages then as I turned up the volts it would suddenly spin off really fast. The resulting coil was very messy with very loose windings.

The solution is gearing, with the correct gears the winder will pull slower with more force - exactly what you need for a tight coil.

Gearing is a route that I really don't want to go down. The motor, gears and shaft that I'm using are all housed in one unit and splitting it and fitting other gears would be a bit of a nightmare.

The motor seems quite torquey so I'm hopeing that I can have a fair bit of tension on the wire to keep it tight.

Appaently some people can wind at about 3000rpm and the tension of the wire won't cause it to snap (obviously the faster you wind the more tension you need).

I'll have a bash with it like it is then if needed I'll have to gear it (or build a new one, it's not like making a winder is difficult, one bit goes round and one be counts how many times - simple).

Cheers for the help guys, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I won't be able to pick up any wire until next month though as I've already spent this month rent :D

Hmmm, interesting concept. You don't want to apply any braking to slow the motor, like a clutch type or drum type system. That will only apply an unwanted load on your motor and burn it out. How about installing an inline variable switch, like a rheostat light switch? Press for on/off and turn to control amount of 'lectricity going to the motor. I know most of those switches are designed for AC lighting systems but electricity is still electricity regardless of where its going. But I'm not sure about how it might apply to DC systems.

If you want to be sure then dump the DC motor and get an AC you can just plug into the wall. I bought a 1500 rpm AC motor at a garage sale for 5 bucks not long ago. What kind of power supply are you relying on to run your DC motor?, you will need an AC adaptor, lots of hassle and not as efficient power-wise as an AC motor.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcACDC-c.html

OK, I've seen this thread for a while now and nobody has recomended this. I have used this in DC operated gate openers, BIG 240vdc gate openers not your garage opener one... Lesson

Baldor

Like I mention, this is for big motors, I think it will work in your but a bit pricy for a pickup winder, I'm sure you might be able to get one cheaper...

Also you didn't mention what voltage the motor is... if it is 12 vdc, you can just get a speed control from an AC blower from any auto salvage yard and it will give you 3 speed control

Cheers for the links guys,

I was thinking about the variable resistor (rheostat) but I'm not 100% sure that it'll work in this case. Might give it a go regardless.

BTW it's 12Vdc, it's running off 6 AA batteries.

It's on hold at the minute, because I need to get some of the wire and do some experiments. I'm quite confident that I can get it to work as it is because if I really need to slow it down I can just press left or right on the remote control and the extra load causes the motor to slow :D (I was playing with it over the weekend)

Then if all else fails I might try to cut a couple of the batteries out of the circuit (although this really is a last option).

SouthPa - I would go the ac route but at the minute my winder is Subaru Impreza shape and I quite like it as it is B) I've actually put the body work back on the car and it looks like the fastest pickup winder on the planet :D

BTW it's 12Vdc, it's running off 6 AA batteries.

This makes 9vdc, how is it running? I guess slow and with out torque, try using a 12vdc adapter that can handle the current drawn dy the motor, and with a rheostat it should work fine, the links Iposted are for 110-above motors, so they won't work for your application, one thing you can get is an speed control from and RC car, the solidstates ones, they use a DIAC to pass the current and are regulated from 0-12 dependind on a servo, which you can make out ov a 500K pot. since the only voltage running thru it will be about 6 from 4 AA batteries or a dc adapter...

NOVAK makes some damn decent ones... but a bit pricy, Here is a link to show you what Iam talking about, this is one of the best in the bussines, must run up to 7 cells (@1.5vdc) and this baby handles up to 14.

Your right, it does make 9V, it's been a long day :D

I've got a spare pot from the polished-turd-ocaster so I might give that a go.

From the research that I've been doing I would say that I might not have to regulate the speed like I thought. Eitherway, I'll give it a shot and keep you all informed. Hopefully have some pics for you all soon. It's a bit messy (like using bits of wood to connect different size shafts but it's not too bad.