filling pot-holes

soon i am converting a four knob 1 switch body into a 1 knob no switch body. Is there any suggestions on how to fill the other 3 holes and the switch hole and what to fill them with? here is what i was planning on doing:

• first decide which hole im keeping
  • put a cheap veneer over the other three and the switch hole from inside the control cavity
  • fill the remaining holes from the top of the guitar with putty
  • sand it smooth

Would this work? i'm pretty sure it would im just not sure if a veneer is the right way to go or what, also, i know that there is a special coating of sheild paint or something that goes on it, would putting a veneer on top of that do anything to it?

I wouldn't do that...

As mentioned, the veneer is really thin. If you have the veneer already on, and then turn the guitar over and start packing the holes with the epoxy, you could create little mounds where you push the epoxy against the veneer. It's just better if you have the epoxy in, and make sure that the surface is so smooth that you cannot see the holes when shooting some primer on it.

That's the way I would go.

And you may not need to do any more than just put some tape on the inside of the cavity while filling the holes with epoxy, and remove it when you're done...

I wouldn't do that...

As mentioned, the veneer is really thin. If you have the veneer already on, and then turn the guitar over and start packing the holes with the epoxy, you could create little mounds where you push the epoxy against the veneer. It's just better if you have the epoxy in, and make sure that the surface is so smooth that you cannot see the holes when shooting some primer on it.

That's the way I would go.

And you may not need to do any more than just put some tape on the inside of the cavity while filling the holes with epoxy, and remove it when you're done...

thanks, this is what i will end up doing most likely:

• tape under the holes
  • fill with epoxy
  • sand it till its completely flat
  • put veneer on top
  • cut hole for one pot that i am using
  • add electronics, and so on and so forth

also, how should i cut the hole for the pot to get a clean whole?? i'm guessing use an exacto knife and just crefully cut it out, but im not positive if that will give me a clean whole? :D