Jump to content

Leaderboard

  1. MassimoPL77

    MassimoPL77

    GOTM Winner


    • Points

      10

    • Content Count

      24


  2. ScottR

    ScottR

    Moderator


    • Points

      1

    • Content Count

      10,794


  3. Andyjr1515

    Andyjr1515

    GOTM Winner


    • Points

      1

    • Content Count

      2,637


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 10/20/2017 in all areas

  1. I decided to put a rose also on the headstock, to complement the inlay on the fretboard. This drawing is smaller than the others, because the flower has to go between the machine heads. I decided to inlay on the headstock also a drawing: the logo Delky. It's just a joke from school times, a nickname from my surname Del Col. The leaves are made with abalone paua, the petals are made with white mop and australian greenlip abalone. The contrast between the different colours of the shells helped me to give more depth to the rose. The writing is made with golden mop. As you can see on the
    4 points
  2. The neck is the part of the guitar that differs the most from the traditional Les Paul: I made a 5 parts laminated neck with a 15°scarf joint and a volute. To start I glued together the sandwich: ebony /maple/ebony/maple/ebony. The ebony is the same asian wood used for the top. (Sorry for the low quality of the next photos : I don't have pictures of the building process of the neck for this guitar, so I'm using some pictures of an older build made with the same woods) This is the result after planing: To cut the scarf joint I used the table saw with this jig: I
    2 points
  3. Next steps were binding and purflings. To cut the channels with the arm router was an easy task The most difficult part was to cut the channel on the cutaway, because in that position the channel doesn't lay on a plane, but it goes up after the horn and then goes down near to the neck pocket. To achieve it I used this jig with my Makita hand router The channel wasn't perfect, because the radius was too narrow for the jig to work correctly, but after some refining with a chisel it was acceptable. My aim was to do a flamed maple binding and a four parts purfling: eb
    2 points
  4. Neck carve is pretty much finished. Bit of a tweak to do on the volute, but I reckon it's time to start fretting.... Here's how it's ended up:
    1 point
  5. For this guitar I wanted to do an intricate inlay and I choose one of my favourite subjects: roses. I started making inlays three years ago and it was immediately love with this technique. Most often I do small subjects like logos or writings, so this one is my second full fretboard inlayed. On the twelfth fret I decided to inlay a small ladybug (from which the name of the guitar) to vary a little and to create a colorful subject that stood out on the rest of the inlay. The drawing of the layout is always the most demanding part: I draw by hand, first looking for subjects, then marking th
    1 point
  6. I wanted a dark wood for the top, because I like the contrast between the top and the body, so I found this asian ebony, really similar to Makassar, which was very figured and enough thick to be a Les Paul top (16mm). Firstly I glued the two parts together: Then I glued together top and body using my vacuum pump. To be sure that the wood doesn't move I tightened two screws on the pickup positions. I've bought this pump to glue veneers, but I had really good results also with thicker woods and now I wouldn't go back for clamps! Here is the result after routin
    1 point
  7. After a bit more leveling, yet still matte, I had to have a few in the sunlight. This is closer to actual color...but still a bit hot from the direct sunlight. SR
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...