I envy those who can take a piece of wood and make it look like glass. I have my talents, but fine wood finishing isn't one of them.
Here's a recipe I used to get an acceptably good result on a very very rough strat body:
1) Sand down finish to wood.
2) Use Bondo and put a thin coating over front and back.
3) Sand bondo with 100 grit sandpaper with orbital sander.
4) Use 180 grit sanding sponge to finish smooth - bondo is very easy to get smooth.
5) Spray with 3 coats of Rust-oleum "Hammered" unique Spray paint - following instructions on can - No primer needed goes on great over ba