Jump to content

mattharris75

GOTM Winner
  • Content Count

    1,146
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    13

mattharris75 last won the day on February 6

mattharris75 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

263 Excellent

About mattharris75

  • Rank
    Veteran Member
  • Birthday 06/30/1975

Profile Information

  • Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

3,818 profile views
  1. Have I mentioned before that I despise the finishing process? Well, even if I have, it can never be said too much... I took a little break during football season, but have been back at it for a few weeks. I could never get the tuner ferrules out through any other method, so I finally ordered the StewMac tool. Even with it some of them were tricky, but I finally got them out. A little tear out on one of the holes, but no big deal it will be covered by the ferrule. Managed to fill the grain in the headstock with the tried and true 'wet sand with tru oil' method. So, progress on
  2. What a cool idea! Looks like it was very controllable and smooth. Nice job!
  3. So, this is the 'In Progress and Finished Work' section. Why don't you start a build thread and put all your updates in there. Makes keeping track of things easier for everyone!
  4. Side bending is cake compared to some of the stuff you've done, Scott! I'd love to see your take on a carved acoustic instrument of some sort, get going!
  5. Thanks Scott! That's correct as far as the procedure I've used in the past, on either porous wood or over stain/dye. In this particular build, because it is acoustic, and based on reading and talking with folks, I decided to use shellac as the layer between the wood and Tru Oil instead of Z-Poxy.
  6. Not a huge update here. I've been working exclusively on finishing the top. The back and sides seemed to have plenty of build after 5 coats. I've applied 5 additional coats to the top at this point. Three of them thinned with naptha, and all applied with 600 grit sandpaper and then burnished with a soft cloth after about 1 1/2 hours of drying time. It's getting quite smooth. This finish is going to be really thin, and it's getting close to where it needs to be on the top. There are a few problem areas, and hopefully a couple more applications of Tru Oil will take care of those.
  7. The finishing is coming along well. I've mentioned before that I really want this instrument to have a vintage look, so I want to keep the finish warm, thin, and with a satin or semi-gloss look. So in pursuit of that after the initial build coats I've been using thinned Tru Oil and applying it with 600 grit sandpaper, and once it is partially dry I burnish it with some synthetic steel wool. It's getting there, I'm working slowly and doing my best to keep the finish thin, with a bit of the character of the grain coming through. My big issue right now is these tuner bushings...
  8. Thanks! Yeah, we're both old timers. 2007 was when I started here as well. Lots of folks have come and gone since then...
  9. Thanks guys. Update on finishing. This is after the 4th coat of Tru Oil. Lots of fine sanding has things starting to feel pretty smooth, and I'm starting to get a little build and shine. I reckon I'm 1/3 of the way there give or take, but in my experience it's just done when it's done, I'll keep oiling and sanding until it looks right.
  10. The finishing process has begun! I finished re-sanding and tweaking, and now this is with two coats of orange shellac and a coat of Tru Oil. So far so good...
  11. A bunch more non-instrument related projects that have taken up my time this year. Here are a handful. The big one was a master bathroom renovation. New plumbing fixtures, new light fixtures, new mirrors, painted cabinets and walls, etc, etc. But the big thing was the new vanity cabinet I built with custom gothic mullion inlays. There's also a matching cabinet in the water closet room over the toilet. It's rare when a project actually turns out pretty much exactly as you expect it to, but this one did. You can see in the reflection of the left mirror the towel rack I ma
  12. So, the mandola spent a week on the Tonerite. Then it was time to break things down and do some work. After playing it for a while I decided that the neck was just too large. I wanted to have a chunky vintage neck, especially considering that there is no truss rod, just a graphite stiffening bar. But it was like playing a baseball bat... So I spent a few hours yesterday re-profiling the neck. The trick is that I had designed it where the backstrap seamlessly faded into the back of the neck. It looked cool, but because of the amount of wood I needed to take off it just wasn't going to work
  13. I think both mock ups look really nice. My issue with the purpleheart is that it's not likely to stay that color. You could always pick up some bloodwood if you want something more in that color family that will continue to look that way over time...
×
×
  • Create New...