A Couple Of Newbie Questions! Please Help!

ranman106

I am getting ready to build my first guitar. Here is what I have:

sgp4.jpg

First question. What are the correct measurments to drill the tailstop mounting holes. I understand how to locate, angle, and drill the mounting holes for the bridge.

Second question. How do I drill the "tube" for the ground wire that runs from the control cavity to the bridge mount?

This is what the control cavity looks like:

link

Please one picture per post except in the In progress and finished section. Links for all other references.

Thank you.

MK

Edited by MiKro

In that last picture, it seems there has already been a hole drilled for the ground wire; in the top left of that cavity - if that's not the case (looks a different body?), just use a small long drill bit and drill to the hole where the bridge stud is located.

As for the tail-piece, just measure the centres of the studs, mark these equally either side of your centre line however far behind the bridge you want it, and drill away.

In that last picture, it seems there has already been a hole drilled for the ground wire; in the top left of that cavity - if that's not the case (looks a different body?), just use a small long drill bit and drill to the hole where the bridge stud is located.

As for the tail-piece, just measure the centres of the studs, mark these equally either side of your centre line however far behind the bridge you want it, and drill away.

Yeah, its a different body but same kit manufacture. My control cavity is the same. I believe the hole in the control cavity is for the pickup wires to the pots.

What length and size drill bit? What kind of drill? Right angle or attachment?

So, is there no general rule for the distance of the tailstop behind the bridge?

[quote name='ranman106' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:59 AM' post='399379'

What length and size drill bit? What kind of drill? Right angle or attachment?

So, is there no general rule for the distance of the tailstop behind the bridge?

I like them far enough back that I can jack the tailpiece down all the way without the strings hitting the back of the bridge as they come off the saddles. But anything within reason will probably work fine.

If you ever want to replace the bridge/tailpiece with an aftermarket trem unit designed to fit Gibsons bridge and tail studs (like a Stetsbar or a Kahler 2200) without heavy modification, I guess that could be a factor. Although I don't know off hand what the measurements for Gibson's placement of those is.

• 4 weeks later...
I like them far enough back that I can jack the tailpiece down all the way without the strings hitting the back of the bridge as they come off the saddles.

Can you give me an idea of the distance? 1", 1.5", etc?

Visit Warmoth

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/br...es_tune_o_matic

and have a look at the detailed diagram pdf that page links to.

Just what I was looking for! Thanks!