Adirondack Red Spruce

Hello! I've made some posts here some time ago but been away... So "hi there" again!

I'm thinking in order a 0 or 00 guitar from a brazilian luthier and the back is going to be Macassar Ebony that I ordered from LMI and am thinking in order a Adirondack Spruce top, as I play with flatpick and have a heavy hand. I was told to avoid Red Cedar and Redwood because of it (beside some friends said it would be good choices with M.E., tone-wise)...

Usually the Ad. spruce I see selling is not very pretty looking and usually the seller says that the A-scale on Ad. spruce is a little poor than other spruces... Then I saw these awesome looking Adirondack on Colonial Tonewood - and you can pick the one you think is prettier... BUT I don't know much about spruce and I've no idea how to identify the different species... Nor I know Colonial Tonewoods... As it's listed on supply section on the Project Guitar page, makes me think they're trustable company... So what do you guys think??

this are the tops I'm saying (they're almost sold out now):

http://www.colonialtonewoods.com/redspruceguitartops.htm

Thanks a lot,

Fernando Esteves

I've never ordered from Colonial Tonewoods, but I have heard good things about them. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. Given what you said about your playing style, Adirondack Spruce is probably the right choice. However, more important than the choice of wood is how the luthier voices the guitar. Make sure you've discussed everything in detail with the luthier. If you'd really rather not have the look of Adirondack Spruce, you could always go with bracewood made of Adi and a top made of something else.

• 1 month later...

Steve at Colonial is a great guy, with some really nice woods. Only bought from him once while I was in the area, swung by, had a chat, got to fondle a bunch of wood. Bought some Adi bracewood and a back/side set if I recall...he mostly had Euro spruce at that time, was really nice stuff, but since I live closer to the source I left it for the folks on your side of the pond :D