Help on a neck through SG build

NDW

Hey Guys,

This is my first guitar building project and I'm planning on constructing a neck-thru SG guitar with the exact same dimensions and specs as a Gibson, except some extra shaping with the body and slimming down the neck.

I will be using mahogany for the whole guitar except a 1/2 inch quilted maple top. I have worked with wood quite a bit and have most furniture powertools available.

Would it be sufficently easier, and cost efficient if I ditched the quilted maple top?

Should I skip the neck-through and just glue the neck on in the end?

Can I buy just any truss rod?

What kind of neck angle should I plan for if im going to use a standard tune-o-matic bridge system?

Are there any books or online tutorials regarding this design?

Where can I get a full size blueprint of the body(besides tracing one off of a real SG)?

Sorry if any of these are stupid quiestions,

Thanks guys I appriciate your help!

NDW

//I will be using mahogany for the whole guitar except a 1/2 inch quilted maple top. I have worked with wood quite a bit and have most furniture powertools available.

i think most tops are 1/4". but its personal preferance. 1/4" will be cheaper so keep that in mind.

///Would it be sufficently easier, and cost efficient if I ditched the quilted maple top?

maple, even though quilt, wont be to expensive especially if you compare it to the cost of the whole guitar. check out ebay for some nice cost wood.

///Should I skip the neck-through and just glue the neck on in the end?

i would say set neck or bolt neck first. im going with set neck on mine right now, just cause im using nicer woods and its to expensive for a neck through blank.

///Can I buy just any truss rod?

i would assume so, the difference would be single or double adjustable, length, and route depth.

www.stewmac.com has some good cheaper ones.

///What kind of neck angle should I plan for if im going to use a standard tune-o-matic bridge system?

i think 1-3 degrees is usual for a TOM setup.

///Are there any books or online tutorials regarding this design?

"build your electric guitar" by melvyn hiscock is popular. but im finding enough info on the net to not have to buy a book right now.

//Where can I get a full size blueprint of the body(besides tracing one off of a real SG)?

guitarbuild.com might have some CAD files for your body style. or www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com might have a plywood template.

hope that helps.

t

hello asm, I've just built a neckthrough SG (I will be posting pics real soon) so I think I can answer your questions:

1. I think if you´re planning on using a maple top it would be a little more difficult because you have to be very accurate with the body/neck area, it has to fit perfectly around the neck. Mine is mahogany because I like it that way, but you can use the maple.

2. I also made a Les Paul copy, and I think that building the neckthrough was way easier than the set neck. To me it was easy to glue the wings and then planing the center piece to match the top level. In either case you need to draw your plans full size so you can check the angles and everything. And if you have experience in woodworking I would say go for it, build the three kinds of necks I would say the neckthrough was ther easiest, but please draw it first THEN cut, there´s one sayin: "measure twice, cut once"

3. I think you can use any kind of trussrod, I bought the Hot Rod trussrod from StewMac, it worked perfectly and besides in a neckthrough and a set neck and a bolt-on the trussrod works the same.

4. If you check this page www.everythingsg.com in the vintage area there are some ads where you can check the specs the SG´s have. I built a Standard so I use a 3 degree, but you can see a range from 2 to 4 degree, depending on the model. I think you wouldn´t have any problem if you use a 3 degree angle.

5. I use the Hiscock´s "make your own electric guitar", he shows how to make a setneck, a bolt-on and a neckthtough, I have learned a lot with that book, if you can buy it you would do yourself a big favor.

6. I use the guitarbuild.com plans, they seems to be very accurate but the scale in those plans are 25 1/2" and not the original 24 3/4" scale, take that in mind. In fact I use different pics to make it the more accurate as posible because I think the guitatvuild plans are a little too wide for my taste, check a lot of pics and you´ll be fine.

Hope this can help you, and I don´t think they´re stupid questions, you should see some of mine :D cheers

Alberto

(and sorry for my english, it´s not my native tongue)

I think Alberto prety much covered. Im making a neckthru SG aswel next year after I get money from my next summer job. It would be easier to do it without the top but it doesnt make that much of a difference. DO whatever you ferel like its your guitar make it the way you want it.

Thanks a bunch guys,

I didn't expect such detailed responses for this, and I greatly appriciate your help on this project. I will have your reponses in mind when I start this project next week and I am once again greatful for your guidance.

NDW