New Pickup Concept!

mushy the shroom

Hey! Very little parental involvement! Especially with the design. Another problem of sending voltage through the strings, is that they would heat up and drop in pitch. Trem!

Did you see my first post on the sustainer thread...I sent about 15 watts of signal through an electromagnet under the strings...they heated up so much at theat point they were too hot to touch and actually snapped off the guitar!

Still, till then, I had sustain

p

Yeah, I did. That was pretty funny. Pretty cool concept. I know that people have used loud speakers under the strings, as feedback was originally created, but more controlled. This has probably been mentioned, but it's a pretty cool idea.

• 2 weeks later...

So, sorry to dredge this up, but I was thinking of the electrical trem idea. The concept is that you short-circuit a battery with the string, so the string heats up and drops in pitch. This probably wouldn't work with my pickup design, but with conventional or piezo pickups it seems plausible. Aside from the strings heating up, there seems to be no problem. You could wire individual string to a powerful (or not) battery, and use a potentiometer to control the voltage, which would change the rate of the pitch decrease. I bet you could even fabricate a sort of "whammy bar potentiometer" that could bend each string in the traditional way. Kind of a cool concept!

I dunno if it would break, but the rebound would be way off. It would probably be useable every 20 seconds or whatever, but probably not too convienent.