Glue Press

Mickguard

I picked up a glue press today....it's got a little lever that you flip to tighten it down (instead of a handle you turn like on a regular vise). I'm hoping it'll give the right kind of pressure ...since I'm only gluing fairly small pieces to a larger piece, I think I can get away with one, and maybe attach a regular press to even things out.

Anything I should know about this kind of press before I use it?

I'll be gluing small pieces to fill out the side of a guitar body --I'm thinking I can clamp the guitar straight up in my worktable, so I'll be able to get to both sides for wiping away the glue. Or should I do this with the body lying flat on the table?

Thanks!

Mickey

Hi,

You can see the clamp in one of the photos I linked to in my Bocaster thread (in the project section)....

wait, I'll hunt up the link...

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1121506

photo number 2 shows the clamp....my 'helpers' didn't trust the glue clamp (they'd never seen it before, so they went with the heavy duty clamp for the larger pieces...the glue clamp is holding down a smaller piece (that's when they said, hey, this works pretty well...)

Lying the guitar on its back (on a piece of scrap board) made more sense in the end, helps line up the pieces