Which File For Fret Ends?

Mickguard

I need to clean up the sharp edges of the frets on my Bocaster...I have here a set of hobby files ("Black Diamond" from Nicholson/Cooper Hand Tools)

Which one of these is the most appropriate --or does that matter?

There's a:

Flat

Square

Three Square (which looks darn close to a triangle to me)

Round

Half Round

Equaling file

I had a search in the forum, the discussion seems to be toward crowning. I'm just looking to smooth out the playing experience a bit...I plan on masking off the fretboard to keep it from getting scratched

Thanks for your tips!

Mickey

most likely what has happened is the wood shrunk, and the barbs and ends are sticking out, as metal wont shrink.

couple ways to fix this... get some sandpaper and a block, this will work, most likely will chew through some paper though. If you go the file route, you would just hold it against the side, and go back and forth till they are gone, then you can go back over it with fine 400-800 and above (whatever works for you) sand paper to clean them up and get rid of any file marks. I just use a regular flat file, about 6 inches long.

to keep this from happening again, you can watch the humidity levels in your room, my case the basement. In the winter (ohio) i have to run a humidifier, summer de-humidifier. keep the level normal, and it wont happen.

Dave

most likely what has happened is the wood shrunk, and the barbs and ends are sticking out, as metal wont shrink.

Oops, I should have mentioned that this is a fretboard from a guitar I bought--it's a Chinese made guitar that came with the sharp ends. This guitar isn't too bad--I tried out a Squire Affinity in a store the other week and cut my palm!

I tried sanding the edges first (with 1000 grain), but didn't like the result, that's why I want to file the ends (really just round out the corners) before sanding them again.

Thanks,

mickey