How Do You Buy Your Body Wood?

I just priced out some wood for my LP copy. I can get the mahogony for the neck and body and the 3/4" maple for the cap for around $78.00. This is for the rough sawn board stock. For another $52.00 this place will glue up the body blanks and plane and sand them to thickness ( They didn't have any material available for 1 piece blanks).

I don't have access to a jointer or planer or thickness sander, so my question is are there other options to get my blanks to this point or do I just bite the bullet and pay to have the blanks made up? I can't be the only one without these tools, what are you guys doing?

the place i go to get my lumber has all of it s2s, i still thickness it and plane it and what not so that really doesnt help you, some of the places in the supply section on the main site have premade blanks that you can buy that are glued and ready to be routed and what not

MzI

I shape most everything by hand. I have no bandsaw, thickness planer etc. I use Skilsaw and jigsaw for cutting and hand planes, palm sander, rigid sanding blocks etc. for getting everything square and smooth. Of course, you have to monitor your progress with straightedge, carpenter's square and calipers. The concept is very straight forward and simple, all it takes is a practiced eye, a little elbow grease and some discipline.

Also, I don't buy wood. :D So what I get is pretty darn rough and you just have to get medievel on the wood in the beginning. I picked up some free mahogany a while back when I worked in a boat building shop. They were going to burn it! I then traded some of that for some maple for my next project. I found an old mahogany bed head that has some interesting grain in a junk pile. I just keep my eyes peeled for stuff that I can use.

i got my 2" bolivian rosewood slab resawed, bookmatched, glued and then thickness planed. as well as a 4 piece laminate ebony back glued up and thickness sanded. all for 80$.

52$ might be a bit steep if they are just joining and sanding. but, i think the average woodworking hr. wage is like 20-50$, so technically yes, but thats not to hard of a task