Fingerboard Finishing

Hi all

i'm building my first guitar and i've done no end of research into finishing and the like but nowhere seems to be very helpful when it comes to fingerboard finishing!

From what i can gather, no lacquer is used, just oils of varying sorts. So is it best to treat the fingerboard before fretting or after? And, if after, do the oils effect the frets i.e. should they be masked beforehand?

Thanks a lot

Ric

Do NOT take my word as gospel but i would "Presume" that you would oil AFTER fretting...

And i would also "presume" that as long as the frets are set properly, there should be no adverse effects experienced if you dont mask the frets off...

but PLEASE do not take my words as 100% true... These are only my presumptions and are far from an experienced view...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yeah i guess that makes sense. So, other than sanding the fretboard then oiling, no other treatment is needed?

I understand you can get fret polish too that requires the board to be masked.

Can you recommend any polish and oils that i can get in the uk?

Cheers

Ric

Find some Leblanc Bore Oil and apply a very small amount to the fretboard after fretting and everything else is done. A number of online suppliers carry it ... do a search. It's very cheap and will last forever. Just rub some on with a rag. Periodically you can add some more after cleaning the board. You don't need to mask the frets for this.

X-Treem Metal Polish is good for polishing frets (mask the board).

Find some Leblanc Bore Oil and apply a very small amount to the fretboard after fretting and everything else is done.  A number of online suppliers carry it ... do a search.  It's very cheap and will last forever.  Just rub some on with a rag.  Periodically you can add some more after cleaning the board.  You don't need to mask the frets for this.

X-Treem Metal Polish is good for polishing frets (mask the board).

That's pretty clever. If it's good enough for a clarinet, it should be ok for a fretboard. :D

I can't help much with UK suppliers, but there are a number of online suppliers that carry it. (like Musician's Friend). I think LeBlanc also makes a similar product specifically named for fretboards. (It only costs a couple dollars US for a bottle, so shipping to Europe would be expensive ... but I expect there is a supplier somewhere.)

I learned that trick from Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules.

The other brands probably work OK too ... I don't know.