Basic Question About Finishing Materials

ryno1234

First Post!

I have been painting cars/car parts as a hobbie now for about 2 years. I'd like to refinish my guitar and I was told I can use the paint which I would use on a car for all the colors and then I would use a Polyurethane clear over the top. I have also heard on Nitrocellous (sp?) Lacquer being used as a clear, but rumor has it that Poloyurethane is better?

Anyway - If im spraying car paint as my color (urethane base) what materials can I spray over the top (Product Names)? Who makes them? I know I can use standard car clear (which is a urethane base as well) but I do not know how well that will withstand scratching and the abuse that guitars take. :D I would like to match the same quality that the factory provides as far as scratch resistance goes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thx

Edited by ryno1234

There's no -better- paint IMO. There's just paint that cures faster, harder, is more scratch resistent and other things(poly urethanes). If you have the chance to spray it, go for it! I think nitro sucks compared to poly if you spray it. I have never had the chance(yet) to spray poly as I only spray nitro.

As far as I know you can spray anything over poly. The new industry standard is polyester. PRS sprays polyester, and a couple of other factories do also.

I say stick with all poly :D

Two pack car poly is probably the paint best suited to guitars that an average jow can spray. There is some certain safety equipment you need to use it (forced air respirator), so make sure you know what precautions to take before you decide to use it. I think most auto paint places carry it. Don't mistake it with the single part car poly, all of it I've used has taked forever to dry.

Two pack car poly is probably the paint best suited to guitars that an average jow can spray. There is some certain safety equipment you need to use it (forced air respirator), so make sure you know what precautions to take before you decide to use it. I think most auto paint places carry it. Don't mistake it with the single part car poly, all of it I've used has taked forever to dry.

Yep. He paints cars as a hobby so I HOPE he has some kind of saftey stuff :D

Thanks everyone. And yes I do have safety equipment. All it took was one time of painting in what I thought to be a well ventalated area, just to cough up blue paint the next day. Real eye opener. :D

Now by 2 part poly, is that the same as car clear coat? Its a 2 part mix, catlyst + clear, making a urethane 2 part mix. Is this polyurethane? It just seems everyone referes to the paint that you would use on a guitar differently than the paint you would use on a car for standard clear coat, so excuse me if my questions are repetative. Just want to make sure I do this right - once.

Thanks again

Edited by ryno1234