What Kind Of Glue?

Hello!

I am working on a les paul copy. I glued the neck in a week ago, and there is a small gap between the heel of the neck and the guitar body. It's probably around 1/32". I want to fill this gap with a mixture of glue and wood dust, but I want to find out what kind of glue would take the finish the best. I am planning to use stain and tung oil for the finish....what should I use?

Thanks!

j

If you are planning an oil based stain, it will penatrate most anything. Ussually you would use a wood filler for any gaps. There are many different types that are wood colored and can accept stain.

let me suggest that you dye your sawdust before you mix it with the glue. even though some stains will penetrate a glue/sawdust mixture after it has dryed it won't do it at the same level as the guitar body and it may really stand out more than if you left the crack unfilled. if you have any of the scrap lumber left from your guitar body cut a sawblade width slot in a piece and use it for a test scrap. take a drop or two of your stain and mix it with the dry sawdust and then add your glue..super glue or carpenters glue or whatever you decide. then trowell it into you slot and sand it when it's dry. apply your stain over the whole scrap and then add your tung oil and see what you think. you can always add more or less stain and try again if it comes out too dark or too light.

good luck with your project.

I'm not the most experienced at this stuff, so if this is a bad idea, I'd appreciate someone chiming in, but I had a similar problem on a guitar I was working on, and I ended up gluing some veneer to the neck prior to applying it. (Gluing the veneer and the neck at the same time does not work well, I learned that the hard way on a non-guitar project of a similar nature - the veneer slid around and the thing got stuck halfway, and was a pain in the rear to get either all the way in or all the way out) The veneer actually made the fit too tight, but carefull sanding and I was able to get the fit just right. A 32nd gap is small enough that this method might not be worth it.