First Time Making Martin Kit

Hello,

I just ordered a Martin kit from Steward McDonald (if any of you don't know what this is, it's a service on the net and on magazine, that provides EVERYTHING for guitar-makers).

Th ones of you that know about StewMac might be able to tell me about the kits from StewMac or give some advice.

It's my first time making a guitar, so I will need it.

Are there some aspects of the building process, that are especially difficult?

-Spencer

Hello,

I just ordered a Martin kit from Steward McDonald (if any of you don't know what this is, it's a service on the net and on magazine, that provides EVERYTHING for guitar-makers).

Th ones of you that know about StewMac might be able to tell me about the kits from StewMac or give some advice.

It's my first time making a guitar, so I will need it.

Are there some aspects of the building process, that are especially difficult?

-Spencer

Although I have never used a kit. I think a lot of guys have used them for their first, and seems to be a very smart way to go. Most people around here are most certainly familiar with Stew Mac. You should also check out Allied and LMI for acoustic stuff. All of them seem to be a bit overpriced on many things, but definately have great parts and tools to offer. I believe you will find some good info about the kit at the OLF-Online Luthiers Forum (I seem to recall a couple posts from people who have used them, or are in the process of building with one).

When you get the kit try to get a clear picture in your head of the process. You should take the time to build good jigs and tools to make your build go smooth (I can't stress that enough). The process is going to break down into assembly of components (ie. soundboard/brace/rosette, Back/brace, Neck, etc...), and then assembly of these components. Instead of me trying to isolate an aspect that may be difficult, or randomly through out tips. Why don't you come back to this thread as you get ready to start a component or aspect of the assembly. Ask any questions if something doesn't quite make sense, or if you need suggestions on how best to go about this or that (pictures are very handy to help us understand your questions).

P.S. You should also check out MIMF, OLF, and many other forums and personal building sites that have tons of handy information.

Peace, Rich

Rich,

Hey thanks alot for the advice. I am sure this will help me alot in my building process.

And by the way, this site is incredible! The second I write a topic, a reply is made.

I will write all during my process, although I won't start it untill after the summer. I am going to France.

So for now, I will be in touch about other things. Really starting to like this forum.

Cheerio,

-Spencer