Re-inlaying Frets?

Hi all. While searching the web for some sites about inlaying activity i found this forum...this sounds like :D

Well I bought a Charvel just the other week. Unfortunatly this Charvie has been fu**ed by a noobish luthier while re-fretting the keyboard......the markers have been burnt. Especially the ones from 7th fret on.

I'd like to change those things. That's why I'm here. I'd like to know where to buy binding (or whatever is called) material to make the marks.

Oh....and...how do u pull off the oldies and glue on the new ones?

re-fretting the keyboard.

I think I spot a typo :D

You mean the inlays?

are they just simple dots, or something more complex?

re-fretting the keyboard.

I think I spot a typo :D

You mean the inlays?

are they just simple dots, or something more complex?

typo? hmm? :D ...

they are shark teeth.

KEYboards are for pianos and FRETboards are for guitars.

Are you going to refret this neck? If you are you could probably hit the fretboard with a radiused sanding block and sand the burn marks out of the inlays. Otherwise I think you would need to find a way to dig the damaged inlays out of their pockets and cut new ones.

Is the inlay that is burnt up plastic? Maybe you could see how deep the burned material goes before ripping up the fretboard. You may be able to clean it up with a light surface sanding. If it is cooked plastic. you could replace it with shell (maybe the upgrade would make the effort more worth while). Personally- I would make a new fretboard. I can't tell you how much faster I could make a new one v.s. fighting an old damaged one (given you are doing inlay, surfacing, pulling and re-fret). Of course that really depends on how you feel about removing and re-placing a full fretboard. It may be safer for you to leave it attached so you don't have to work with that aspect.

Ok, I re-read the first post. May be better to stick with replacing or surface cleaning of the inlay. To be sure, it is inlay and not the binding strips on the sides of the fretboard you are looking to fix? Yes, inlay can be removed, it is glued in place (a bit of heat focused on the inlay will soften the adhesive, but be careful not to overheat as you will soften the glue attaching the fretboard to the neck). You need to take great care not to damage the surrounding wood. If at all possible try to just clean the surface and polish the inlay up.

Peace,Rich