New Project

My new project is in progress as of now.

Details:

Cherry body with Padauk top/headstock veneer. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard with 24 frets. Side dots only. One single, one Humbicker pickup. Volume and 3 way switch only.

Website

Photos to be posted throughout the process. The wood is in except the Padauk. More to come tonight.

This is to be a full tutorial site complete with mistakes and tips. It's my first full build, so it should be a good aid for other newbies.

OKAY, what do you guys think of my headstock design?

It's derived from an Ibanez headstock. I think it's pretty cool. Feedback?

That's sweet, sexybeast. I think it looks great - clean and elegant.

I actually really like that headstock design, and I'm usually not a huge fan of 6-in-line 'stocks outside of the giant 70's CBS fender style. (Which I won't use, because, well, I'm not building a Fender!) Kind of a classy cross between the "hockey-stick/banana" style and the old "dolphin" style Dano' ones. Love it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of updating giong on. Guitar plan has changed a few times, but nothing really drastic. Gimme a bit of feedback if you have time, folks. Also a bit of advice in what to do about the tiop laminate. I don't have access to a planer that big. Can I just apply pressure and glue it flat?

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY!!! Something worth posting a picture of...

toplam2.jpg

Another photo HERE.

Purpleheart sandwiched between yellowheart.

Got the top laminate cut out. The weird uneven edges are reallythin pieces left over by the router. I just need to sand them down. So far so good. I had to rout it with a template carving bottom piece on my router, then turn it over and use a bearing guided bit and cut it flush with the template. Since double sided tape didn't hold too well for me for some reason, I screwed the template to the wood, placing the screws where the knob holes will go.

Next, the bottom laminate.

that photo reminds me of this:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/130904pics.htm

sexybeast, you probably exceeded your bandwith limit, as I'm sure too many people were visiting it. To rectify this, you'll have to find a better host that allows more bandwith, be it a free site, a friend or a pay host. Also, I hope you had copies of your pictures backed up!

Best of luck.

Yeah, I did. But rebuilding is gonna be a real pain.

Anyone have hosting suggestions? I need MySQL and PHP, not to mention bandwidth.

Juuuust great, my website got closed down for no reason. (It was a free host) So now I have to start over. What a drag.

That stinks. You might want to check out Blogger. Google is in the process of updating some of its functionality for the better. My blog, Building The Ergonomic Guitar is hosted on Blogger. Generally, I'm happy with it and there are a number of hacks and templates available. You can use something like Photobucket to host images. Backup is one of its weaknesses but there are several workarounds for that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I need suggestions.

DSC00366.jpg

Here's my project so far. I probably should have laminated the top and bottom before cutting, I know, but live and learn. My problem is that now the top, which is not p[erfectly flat, has warped about 1/8 inch. The bottom can be planed or sanded since it's stable, but I'm not sure what to do about the top.

Is it possible to plane it flat again (machine)? I don't care if I lose thickness, but I'm not sure it it's possible. Thickness sand it? Just clamp and glue the crap out of it and fill the gaps? ????

Or should I scrap the top and make another one?

Thanks again, guys.

I would just go ahead and glue the top without worrying too much about warpage and whatnot.

I see lots of people here worrying about their tops (or whatever) being warped like 3mm or so.

It does not matter at all if your body is flat and thicker than the top.

Look at this way, if you can clamp it flat, you can glue it flat and it will most likely stay flat.

The few exceptions being that your body piece is thinner than the top (rarely), the body has a really uneven (not straight) grain. And probably if you use something like pine for the body and you try to glue a heavily warped zebrano top on it (soft, dense).

And if you're ready to scrap the top if necessary then why do you even worry?

Try it, if it doesn't work, then scrap it. :D