New Project

Cool. Like I said, though, the edges of the pieces are a little off, so ther may be gaps between the laminations at the visible edge. Should I just clamp it SUPER tight and see what happens? I can always rout a shallow channel around the join and fill it with another wood...

I'm thinking that's the way I'll go and see how it works. This is a learning experience , after all.

EDIT:

Ok, so you mean the edges between where the top and the body meet may not be flush.

i would use a ton of clamps, all arround the edges and some in the middle.

as long as the faces are level(or are level when pressed) the gap should be pretty small.

Dont be afraid to clamp i REALLY tight, that was my problem when joining the boards for a body blank, I thought it would be TOO tight, so I left it loose.

the glue made a bit of a gap. I cut it apart, put it on a jointer then glued it back together SUPER tight.

Now without the pencil line down the center, I cant see the middle line.

Cool. Like I said, though, the edges of the pieces are a little off, so ther may be gaps between the laminations at the visible edge. Should I just clamp it SUPER tight and see what happens?

As I said, if you can clamp it flat, you can glue it flat. Try clamping it to a flat surface. That should give you a good idea how much force you need to use on the clamps.

Cool. Like I said, though, the edges of the pieces are a little off, so ther may be gaps between the laminations at the visible edge. Should I just clamp it SUPER tight and see what happens?

As I said, if you can clamp it flat, you can glue it flat. Try clamping it to a flat surface. That should give you a good idea how much force you need to use on the clamps.

I glued it and clamped the crap out of it, TIGHT. I take it out tonight to check...

DSC00388.jpg

The laminates are glued and rough sanded. Now I have to trim the headstock thinner, install the truss rod and attach the fretboard. I also plan to laminate the headstock with the Purpleheart.

Also, there are very small edge gaps in a few spots between the laminates. (bad job sanding at the edges. I'll find a planer next time.) Suggestions on how to fill them and haveit look decent? I was thinking a glue/sawdust mixture.

Also, there are very small edge gaps in a few spots between the laminates. (bad job sanding at the edges. I'll find a planer next time.) Suggestions on how to fill them and haveit look decent? I was thinking a glue/sawdust mixture.

That might seem like good idea, but the glue will be very visible under the lacquer, probably even more than the gaps.

I say carve the crap out of it and install very wide binding. :D

But if the gapping was caused by slightly rounded edges, you can always sand the edges untill the gaps are gone.

Fretboard's been fretted! Tis was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. It's a flat radius with no fret markers. I'm not lazy, it's actually what I wanted. I marked up the fretboard in a few places and this will be a bitch to level, I know, but so far I'm feeling pretty good about it.

initialfret.jpg

• 2 weeks later...