Router Problem

Rista

Just got this router:

It's not anything special but it's a huge improvement over my old chinese el-cheapo. More power, soft start, constant electronic, fine depth adjustment etc. However, when I lock the router at desired depth, there is still a little "wiggle" in the plunge. It's not much but it doesn't happen on my old 5 times cheaper router. Is this "normal" or should I return it and change for something else? I don't have much options though and blue Bosch is out of my price range.

The lock button (or whatever) is located at the rear side of the router. When I snap the lock all the way over it does help a little but it still moves. Actually, it's only the other side, where there is no lock that wiggles a little. That would all be understandable if it wasn't for my $40 router that's nearly perfect in that regard :D

When locked, the lock isn't easy at all. It seems to work well and it's the other side which doesn't get locked that's causing the trouble. Don't know if that makes any sense. For example, when I try to push the router down while it's locked, the left side (where the lock is located) doesn't move down but the right one does a little. That means the angle of the bit will change and will no longer be 90° relative to router's base. That isn't a problem for pickup and electronic cavities but when I rout neck pockets I want it to be as close to 90° as possible.

Yeah, I bought it from a store. I'm gonna take it back tommorow and try another one. Hopefully it's just mine 'cause there aren't many choices there. It's either cheap chinese stuff or very expensive Bosch and DeWalt models.

That is the way most plunge routers work. You have the depth stop rod(you can see in the picture, and the locking clamp that locks one side of the two plungers. It generally is a pretty well balanced system if the plunge tubes are fairly well fitted and the springs are in good shape. It has the potential to wiggle though(generally very very little). I use my fixed base for very fine rounting (like backstrips and binding channels). were thousands count. Generally a plunge router in good working order is fine for body routing, pickup and control cavities etc...

Peace,Rich

Yeah, I noticed most plunge routers work like that. It's logical that one side of the router could wiggle a little since the locking clamp locks only one of the plungers. But, I find it really strange that my $40 router (that even comes with 12 router bits for that price) is almost perfect and doesn't wiggle at all. I didn't expect perfection, but for a much higher price, I thought it would at the very least be just as good. Oh well, I'll see tommorow. I'll try more expensive models too. If they wiggle too, I'll keep mine cause aside from this, I really like it :D

Yeah, I noticed most plunge routers work like that. It's logical that one side of the router could wiggle a little since the locking clamp locks only one of the plungers. But, I find it really strange that my $40 router (that even comes with 12 router bits for that price) is almost perfect and doesn't wiggle at all. I didn't expect perfection, but for a much higher price, I thought it would at the very least be just as good. Oh well, I'll see tommorow. I'll try more expensive models too. If they wiggle too, I'll keep mine cause aside from this, I really like it :D

Oh man :D Don't get me wrong here. It should not feel sloppy. The router may have an issue. I am sure that it is not "normal" for a Hitachi to be "sloppy". I have a Hitachi and I find it is put together very well (I have a fixed base and plunge base). Like i said before I use the fixed base for real tight routes. Like inlaying rosettes that are like .04" into soundboards that are like .09" and it is quite accurate. I have used the plunge for solid body shaping (generally thought I don't need the plunge base). My model is the baby brother to yours though (2-1/4 HP model-Link)

Peace,Rich

Rich: mine is Bosch, not Hitachi B) But you're right, it shouldn't be sloppy. I would only expect cheap chinese routers to be sloppy and it seems it's the other way around :D

I went to the store this morning and tried more routers of the same model and they all behave like mine does. I tried cheaper Bosch models without the fine depth adjustment knob which I thought could be causing this, but they are the same too. At that point, I was ready to add more cash and buy something better and then tried a $600 blue Bosch which is better but still wiggles a little. Now, I may be a little too picky cause it's not like the router wiggles by itself - you have to put slight pressure in order for that to happen but I still think this isn't right and I'm unhappy with it. I ended up keeping the same router cause I didn't want to exchange it for anything else over there... except for $30 routers which are like my old one just rebranded, and just like my old one, don't wiggle at all :D