Ca Glue Reaction

unclej

ok, not a guitar question but i know a lot of you use ca glue for a lot of applications..inlay, glueing purfling, etc. and i have too..lots of it. and i've never had this happen before and am curious as to what caused it.

i make a lot of wood items for sale from jewelry to oil lamps. today i was at my shop and my eye landed on a big ole cow leg bone that i had been saving for some damn reason for the last few years. i cut one end off of it and liked the way it looked shape wise so i cut a 1/4" maybe 3/8" slice. i decided to fill the hole in the center with a variety of sawdust and solidify it with ca glue and then sand it down and see what it looked like. i placed it on a piece of waxed paper and filled it then saturated it with glue. within seconds it started smoking..not a lot but enough to notice. when i picked it up and felt the back and it was warm.

i've experienced this warming with epoxies using a catalyst but never with ca glue before. anyone got an idea of what the reaction was or more specifically what caused it?

thanks

CA in the bottle is a monomer. When put in contact with moisture it changes into a polymer (the "binding" effect). This reaction also produces some degree of heat. The more moisture CA is in contact with, the faster the reaction. The faster the reaction = more heat given off. This is also the case where accelerators are used. However, its not really noticeable considering the amounts we normally use . ie. sparingly.

Your bone wasn't quite totally dried out. And the amount of CA you dumped in had something to do with it as well. When I'm filling larger holes I do it by successive layers and alternately build up glue and filler.

Edited by Southpa

thanks for a very informative answer! i suspect it was the moisture in the sawdust as opposed to the bone. the bone has been inside my shop for several years and the sawdust was fresh. and i did "dump" a bunch in at one time.

again, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sizable amounts of CA do get hot when drying. Part of the chemical process.... I'm no scientist, but I've used a lot of CA before, and had larger drops of it on my skin... which also get uncomfortably warm.