Odd Behaviour From Tone Pot Drives Me Crazy!

slidincharlie

Hi,

I'm new here. :D

I'm not a guitar builder, but I like to do small jobs (wiring, general setup, etc.) in my guitars...

I have a problem with the neck tone pot in my guitar that is driving me crazy :D . Hope someone can help me.

The guitar:

my '66 Guild Starfire V, wired with the hot lead from the pickups going to the center lug of the volume pots, like stock. Link to the schematic

The problem:

the sound of the neck pup gets thinner and weaker (instead of getting darker) when I roll off the neck tone pot. This happens now with a new 300k tone pot as it happened with the old (500k?) pot.

This does not happen with the bridge pup.

The neck and the bridge pup/pots assemblies are identical.

The tone cap is a .022 orange drop.

The neck volume pot works beautifully.

I have tried a different wiring and two or three different caps to no avail.

An update:

the neck tone works normally when both pups are engaged. It works oddly as described only when the neck pickup alone is engaged... :-/

Edited by slidincharlie

Why the need for the master volume? If it is wired the exactly as per the diagram I would try bypassing the master volume by putting a jumper wire across the lugs to see if that makes any difference. You want one with an alligator clip either end.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Acousticraft

If it is wired the exactly as per the diagram I would try bypassing the master volume by putting a jumper wire across the lugs to see if that makes any difference. You want one with an alligator clip either end.

I jumpered the two non-grounded lugs of the master pot, but I could not bypass it! The master works normally even with the two lugs shorted... :D

What's wrong?

--Carlo