My First Acoustic Thread

Ok, now Im worried, but we can always dream of this outcome:

http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?50@168.Mg...q.0@.1dcfaf2e/0

Hi Clay

My thoughts exactly, its sounds better than any factory I own. It has quickly become my favorite guitar. And you know I can't stop at one , I've always enjoyed woodworking but thought building a guitar way out of my league. Can't wait to start the next one.

It should also be mentioned that places like LMI and Stewi mac and others offer just about ALL the services, thickness, neck, side bend, etc etc so it would cost more upfront, maybe $550, but some the hard work /cutting etc would be done. Ive seen people talk about that. Yea, there not 'real' woodies yet, but they may not have taken the first steps without the premade services. Just a thought.

I know Kinkeads book scared me for all the tools, but Im almost there! Just another $XXX :D:D

• 4 months later...

Ok, my vid drivers are still goofed up for some reason related to my anti-virus, so I cant post pics, but, the top is mounted to the sides, the back is getting done, and the box should be closed soon! Pain pain pain in the butt, but at least its getting done. Have an order going out to LMI for the fingerboard and stuff. I like the look and am sort of happy with the tap tones Im getting.

Bridge design is comming along good, just about there, headstock is still up in the air a bit.

Thinking of renting from Smartflix, French Polish and Advanced Fretting. Anyone want to recommend these?

:D

img0418iz8.jpg

Ok, got it going again. Gluing the top was a bit nervewracking using hide glue, but it turned out ok. First time is a be-ach to be sure, and gluing the back end seam was no fun at all. That is just your standard 'Martin' rosette there folks, nothing fancy, and I will use shelac next time as the downdraft bit DID leave some tearout, despite what I have heard from alot of builders (no shelac needed with downdraft bits.) I may even use a blade of sorts to precut the top channel outines if I intend the guitar for sale.

Cutting off the exess wood to trim to the sides was actually fun (because it worked with no problems.) I used a chisel for alot of ot but had to switch to a coping saw. Im thinking I would like to try a Japanese keyhole saw for this, or build an adjustable holder for the coping saw blade.

img0419pu8.jpg

Putt putt, its comming along. The next one will take less than half this time. This took too long, and its a long way to go yet. But I love the pain....... :D

Looking good GW :D

Cutting off the exess wood to trim to the sides was actually fun (because it worked with no problems.) I used a chisel for alot of ot but had to switch to a coping saw. Im thinking I would like to try a Japanese keyhole saw for this, or build an adjustable holder for the coping saw blade.

If your talking about trimming the soundboard? I use a router.

Peace,Rich

Peace,Rich

Yea Rich, trimming the soundboard, and back. Im staying away from the router until I get the hang of it better, or go into production for sales, if they sound really good. It was actually my favorite part up to now, using a coping saw. :D

Peace,Rich

Yea Rich, trimming the soundboard, and back. Im staying away from the router until I get the hang of it better, or go into production for sales, if they sound really good. It was actually my favorite part up to now, using a coping saw. :D

I can't remember if you mentioned this, but are you also going to cut all your binding channels by hand? Tuff work for sure, but I bet it will help a lot with your control of the tools.

I have never had any issues using routers for these tasks. A couple things I do though that may help when/if you give the router a go. I place tape all the way around the body where the bearing guide travels(gives you an extra degree of protection). I trim just a little at a time, and when I get to the tips of the upper and lower bouts I take very light passes (prevents any tear out).

Peace, and keep up the good work,

Rich