Rb Industries Scroll Saw

GA Bert

I have been wanting an RBI Scroll Saw for a couple of years but couldn't stand the price of a new one. I kept reading :D and hearing great things about it. Nearly every day I'd search craigslist, "RBI scroll saw" and last week one showed up used.

I called and the guy wanted what I considered a fair price for it but I didn't have enough money. I mentioned that I had a two year old Delta Shopmaster 16" scroll saw and if he was interested I could give him cash and my Delta. He said, "No thanks."

I forgot about it and when I came back from Antique shopping with the wife Sarturday afternoon there was a message from the guy on the answering machine saying he'd take my offer. A confirming phone call I jumped in my truck with my Mapquest map and headed off. After a four hour 175 mile round trip I had the saw at home.

It's an RB Industries 26" throat "Hawk" scroll saw with a manifying lamp kit, foot switch, tool holder, two extra blade holders and about three dozen different size blades.

I didn't have much time last night to do much with it but I managed to cut one letter out of one inch Mahogany. I just used the blade that was in it and didn't even check the set up other than making sure the blade was 90 degrees to the table. What a sweetheart of a saw. The difference between the Delta and the RBI is like there not even the same device, although they are both called scroll saws.

Sorry to ramble on about it but I just had to share my joy. :D

Nice score!

I've heard great things about them. I have a hegnor. I had a $129 delta POS years ago- No comparision between the delta and hegnor or RBI. Heard makita has a good copy of the RBI though.

Yea I looked for a hegnor as well. It seems no one ever sells either of them once they own them. I'll never unload the RBI that's for sure. I find my self using it for stuff I used to use the bandsaw for. Been thinking about setting up the bandsaw just for re-sawing and use the RBI for every thing else.